Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Joint Replacements and Infections

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Joint Replacements and Infections

OK, a little snag last Friday at the ortho doc. I have a small vasculitis bump on my leg that is not healed all the way through, and if it is not, they won't do the surgery.

So while we were there, they went through all the infection control possibilities, procedures, etc. It was then that I started to freak out a little. Since my nose always has some kind of lingering, tolerable crusting, it is predisposed to have medication treatable staff infections. I have those at least once a year. Granted they are small ones and are treated pretty quickly, but they are an infection.

With all the talk of after joint replacement infection control, and the fact that before even a dental cleaning, I will need to medicate with antibiotics, I am cautiously concerned.

I have a call into my rheumy and ENT to talk about this today.

So, have any of you with wegs had a joint replacement and had any kind of sinus issues afterwards?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 12-05-2017 at 01:06 AM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Joint Replacements and Infections

I have not had joint replacement but I am headed in that direction. I have a couple of comments on sinus infection. I've had many , many sinus infections. Even before the last few years of Rituxan. A couple of new tricks I have learned are : I don't like taking oral antibiotics. Plus, they were not working to treat a psuedomonas infection. So my doc had me get levofloxacin powder capsules from a compounding pharmacy that I would then dump into my salt/soda water. These rinses worked like a charm. In just a few days I was way better without tearing up my guts with oral antibiotics. One drawback was that my insurance would not cover this and I think I paid something like 60 bucks for a 12 day course.

My second trick I have just recently tried. My ENT was doing a small in house study on using Manuka honey in the rinse for sinus infection. I don't know the results of his study but I know Manuka is well documented as an antibiotic. My local Costco sells it. I think it has helped me but my results are inconclusive at this point. I have other problems going on right now that muddy my results.

I guess I have a third trick too. The honey and the antibiotic rinse are both a little spendy so I came up with a technique that save on them big time and , I think works even better. I realized I was wasting a lot of the rinse just getting crusts out and goo. So I was flushing treated stuff down the sink. I now use two Neilmed bottles. I first clean with just salt/soda. Once my sinus is really clean I do a final couple of rinse with the treatment. This means I don't use a whole bottle of treatment each time I clean and I am treating an already cleaned sinus.

I hope your leg heals up quick so you can get your replacement done soon and heal up from that. Since it is a vasculitis bump do they use a topical steroid?

3. Likes Pete, Alysia, gilders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Joint Replacements and Infections

Thanks for the tips. I've done amazing things with a waterpik wand to keep mine clear. The biggest thing that my ENT and I came up with was to run the rinse through one nostril while holding the other one closed. When the cavities get full, stop the flow of water and hold it there as long as I can. This gives the antibiotic or medicine a chance to sit in there and coat the tissue.

I'll let you know how the joint replacement goes.
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 12-09-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

5. Likes Pete, me2, Alysia, blu4runner liked this post