Thread: All I want for Christmas is a new knee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All I want for Christmas is a new knee

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    @MikeG-2012 — That sucks!! Hope the infection clears quickly.
    It's not even an infection! It's just a 1/16 inch sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike - sorry about the delay in your surgery, it can be frustrating

my husband had a knee replacement what he failed to do n the post op period was perform the excercises as instructed. Ended up with some issues that could have been prevented if he took the pain meds and did as he was asked to do.

The surgery did do wonders for his pain but he does not have full mobility

best wishes to you

3. Likes me2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did 4.5 miles of walking
    That's not incapacitated. I'm glad you can get in that much walking.

I had a new knee put in on my right side about 2 yrs ago and its doing great. I had the left side replaced almost exactly a year ago, but it had problems and came unglued, so I had to have a third total replacement with a longer shaft put in. That was done about a month ago, so I'm still hobbling around a bit.

Unfortunately, the new knees kind of straightened up my walking and caused problems with my hip, which is apparently worn out. I see the doctor this Wednesday to schedule the surgery for the hip to be replaced.

Its as if there is a domino effect. You get one replaced and, now that it is working properly, it throws the other joints off. I hope that doesn't happen to you, Mike. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@vdub — Will we have to refer to you as the Bionic Man?? Be well!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I have a pace maker, so I guess if I get a 2nd hip done, it might be appropriate. :-) As you can imagine, I'm getting pretty tired of it all.

7. Likes Pete, seied liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Well, I have a pace maker, so I guess if I get a 2nd hip done, it might be appropriate. :-) As you can imagine, I'm getting pretty tired of it all.
    YIKES!! Traveling with you must be an automatic "you'll have to come with me sir"...

Thanks for the encouragement VDub! I am looking forward to walking straight for a while. And incapacitated is what I am after a 4 mile day at work. Ice and pain killers get me moving for another day. One week from today is my last day of work for the year.

Oh, and Middlesista, I do plan on doing all the exercises! I am not even 50 yet, so I need to have full mobility to do my job. I'm too young to retire!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

9. Likes drz, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under 50 and having all those problems, Mike. I really feel bad for you. Being old, like me, and having mobility issues is one thing, but when you are as young as you are, its really a shame. You are in the prime of your life. Good luck on getting some of that stuff fixed.

11. Likes seied, drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Under 50 and having all those problems, Mike. I really feel bad for you. Being old, like me, and having mobility issues is one thing, but when you are as young as you are, its really a shame. You are in the prime of your life. Good luck on getting some of that stuff fixed.
    Thanks. Although my life is completely different than it was 5 1/2 years ago, I still feel like I am blessed to be able to do some of the things I love to do.

I have said often that if it were not for my faith, my spouse, my job and my sense of humor, I would be in a much worse off place. My faith is important for me to believe that there is a plan for me. My spouse of 26 years has been my rock and only constant throughout my journey with this awful disease. Her love and support means a great deal to me. She has endured me not being myself while on pred, watched me gain 90 pounds, lose 60, put up with my lessened activity at home and has always been positive and beautiful! My job, which I love to do, has been my sense of purpose since 2007. After diagnosis in 2012, this job has been the single greatest reason that I drag my sorry butt out of bed in the morning. Also, it provides me with insurance that has kept us from losing our house with all the medical costs. Without my sense of humor and good nature, I would be a really much bigger mess. People at work tell me all the time that they have no idea how I manage to stay positive. I tell them that if I ever lose my sense of humor, their job is to cheer me up and make me laugh. I tell them that I am pathetic when I am sad and crying, and they really don't want to see that. They laugh and tell me that they can do that, and they do--regularly.

Please do not feel bad for me, help me stay positive, by encouraging me like all of you do! I may be younger that some of you, and older than some as well, but there are folks younger than I that are a lot worse off than me. Lets all help encourage them, and tell them that they can endure--even after this stupid disease has re-routed our lives.
    MikeG-2012

13. Likes Pete, seied, Arleta, Alysia, mishb, blu4runner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

***UPDATE***

Got a call yesterday from the nurse at the orthopedic center. My surgery is cancelled! Doctor fell and broke one of his fingers, so he is not doing any surgery until at least the end of January.

Based upon that time frame, and after consulting with my rheumy, and because I am already 1 month past due on RTX, I chose to scrap the knee replacement at this time. I am going to have RTX on this Thursday and again on January 4. Since I have to wait three months after RTX to have the replacement surgery, that puts me in a bad place in my work and life schedules. Summer is my busy time at work, and this summer we are traveling for my 50th birthday. If I wait until 3 months after my RTX, I will only be 8 weeks post-op for my birthday trip, and that is not acceptable.

I've decided to try a new treatment that is being offered at my rheumy's office. It is a freeze pain blocking therapy, that is designed for folks where surgery is not an option. It supposedly lasts about 3-6 months. I hope that if I get pain free, I can continue to be active and lose some more weight while I wait for the new knee. I still have great range of motion on my knee, it just hurts a lot. So if they can block the pain, I will be good for quite a while. Hopefully, I can hold out a year, and I am going to try next year over Thanksgiving week to do the replacement.

(insert your own expletives here) (-8

Happy Holidays everyone!!!
    MikeG-2012

15. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@MikeG-2012 Oh s**t!! You might want to find a less clumsy doc... ;-)
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

17. Likes Alysia liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast