Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member. Newly diagnosed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New member. Newly diagnosed.

Hello. My name is Amanda. I'm 33 and I live in Missouri, USA. I was diagnosed with GPA in August of this year. It was a very scary deal. I was close to death. I had been sick for months and doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Constant runny nose, cough, vomiting and nausea, loss of appetite, weakness, dizziness, fatigue, ear pain. I broke my elbow and sprained my wrist the same day from two separate falls that I had because of the dizziness. Originally, I thought I had a bad ear infection. I had pain in my left ear and lost some hearing in that ear for a few weeks. Went to the doctor several times and they found no infection and said my ears looked fine. I got more and more sick as time went on. Spent months in and out of emergency rooms trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any better and antibiotics weren't working. They just kept treating my symptoms and sending me home. Not trying to find the underlying cause. No hospital close to me wanted to admit me to figure out what was goingLouis Finally my grandmother mentioned Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis (about 45 minutes from me). We went to their emergency room when I was extremely weak and hadn't kept any food down for over a week. I'm also a type one diabetic so the fact that I couldn't keep food down put me in DKA. They admitted me right away. They had to put me on an insulin drip bc of the DKA so I was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU). They did a chest x-ray and told me I may have pneumonia bc they found liquid in my lungs. They scheduled a scope for the next day so they could get a closer look at my lungs. That night, I began to cough up blood. They moved my scope to early the next morning. Next thing I know, I wake up 2 and a half days later with an IV in my neck and a breathing tube down my throat. I didn't have pneumonia. It was blood in my lungs caused by the vasculitis. They took a biopsy of my lung to confirm GPA diagnosis. They kept me in a medically induced coma for two days so they could stop the bleeding in my lungs. Had to have 3 blood transfusions and plasma treatments. Was in the hospital for 12 days. I was still very weak, had trouble walking. I'm now on Rituximab and Prednisone. They are watching me closely but I still don't know a lot about this disease. I'm glad i found a group of people that I can relate to about this since it's so rare. Thank you for this opportunity.

2. Likes bobjannj, me2, Keith, Alysia, PJ2010 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New member. Newly diagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyladylovesslim View Post
    Hello. My name is Amanda. I'm 33 and I live in Missouri, USA. I was diagnosed with GPA in August of this year. It was a very scary deal. I was close to death. I had been sick for months and doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Constant runny nose, cough, vomiting and nausea, loss of appetite, weakness, dizziness, fatigue, ear pain. I broke my elbow and sprained my wrist the same day from two separate falls that I had because of the dizziness. Originally, I thought I had a bad ear infection. I had pain in my left ear and lost some hearing in that ear for a few weeks. Went to the doctor several times and they found no infection and said my ears looked fine. I got more and more sick as time went on. Spent months in and out of emergency rooms trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any better and antibiotics weren't working. They just kept treating my symptoms and sending me home. Not trying to find the underlying cause. No hospital close to me wanted to admit me to figure out what was goingLouis Finally my grandmother mentioned Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis (about 45 minutes from me). We went to their emergency room when I was extremely weak and hadn't kept any food down for over a week. I'm also a type one diabetic so the fact that I couldn't keep food down put me in DKA. They admitted me right away. They had to put me on an insulin drip bc of the DKA so I was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU). They did a chest x-ray and told me I may have pneumonia bc they found liquid in my lungs. They scheduled a scope for the next day so they could get a closer look at my lungs. That night, I began to cough up blood. They moved my scope to early the next morning. Next thing I know, I wake up 2 and a half days later with an IV in my neck and a breathing tube down my throat. I didn't have pneumonia. It was blood in my lungs caused by the vasculitis. They took a biopsy of my lung to confirm GPA diagnosis. They kept me in a medically induced coma for two days so they could stop the bleeding in my lungs. Had to have 3 blood transfusions and plasma treatments. Was in the hospital for 12 days. I was still very weak, had trouble walking. I'm now on Rituximab and Prednisone. They are watching me closely but I still don't know a lot about this disease. I'm glad i found a group of people that I can relate to about this since it's so rare. Thank you for this opportunity.
    I also live in Missouri and am seen by Barnes. Small world! I recently found this forum as well. Not new to the disease though. This forum makes everything not seem so lonely. Your family can be a great support but it’s a little different when people know about the disease that keeps on giving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes bobjannj, Rose, Keith, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barnes is awesome. If not for them, I probably wouldn't be here. So thankful for the doctors and nurses at Big Barnes!

6. Likes bobjannj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NatriceRomeo and @shadyladylovesslim - Welcome to the forum to both of you. Sounds like you both had a rough introduction to GPA. I hope you both keep improving. Ask whatever questions you like, feel free to vent your frustrations, and also share your experiences. We can all learn from each other.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

8. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    @NatriceRomeo and @shadyladylovesslim - Welcome to the forum to both of you. Sounds like you both had a rough introduction to GPA. I hope you both keep improving. Ask whatever questions you like, feel free to vent your frustrations, and also share your experiences. We can all learn from each other.
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum.
    Feel free to ask any questions. No question is too dumb.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Feel free to ask any questions. No question is too dumb.
    .......and there is a good chance we have come across them before. This is what I found very comforting about this forum. All those weird and wonderful symptoms when, whilst explaining them to the doctors and they look at you as if you are going mad. Before the forum and diagnosis I certainly felt at times that I was going mad!!! It was really reassuring to find on the forum that the weird symptoms that I had, (or have) had been experienced by others suffering from this cruel disease

Welcome

Rose

12. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

I am also new to the forum, its great you now have a diagnosis now and can start to make sense of whats going on and plan for it. I have been on Rituximab for over 3 years and look forward to treatments, good luck with the recovery time and shout if you need anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Amanda, and i am 33. How crazy is that! Hang in there! Its special that you have another forum member living so close! You 2 should connect. I have never had the privilege to meet a real live weggie I have spoken with one on the phone. ( Someone on the forum who reached out to me) I was dxed in 2001.

15. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much to all of you! You've made me feel welcome. I'm just glad I can talk to you all about this terrible disease. It's difficult to deal with but this makes it a little easier.

17. Likes BenHornsby liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast