Likes Likes:  1

Thread: GPA and Low T

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GPA and Low T

I'm new to this so thanks for your patience. My GPA is currently under control with daily usage of Azathioprine. Creatin number is low. However, at my annual Check up with my GP, my testoterone level is also very very low and he wants me to have injections. However, in researching it appears to me that if you have severe kidney disorders, the injections are not suggested. Has anyone experienced this combination of issues. What were you told?

Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: GPA and Low T

First of all welcome to the forum. I have been in stage 3 kidney failure for about 6 years. When my T count gets below a number my dr. will give me for a shot of T. One a month for 3 or 4 months, until my T count rises above my target number. I do this about one time a year with no additional damage to my kidneys. Your target numbers may be much higher or lower than me. In my case I get the shots to get my bone marrow to produce blood for me. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: GPA and Low T

I had significant kidney damage (I was stage two from diabetes before Wegs which really hit my kidneys hard) and low Testosterone resulted from damage during Weg treatment and they discussed T shots for me but decided to watch and wait and after a few months both improved. Both have remained at same levels for several years, stable but below normal, and borderline to very low normal limits.

I also was close to getting shots for anemia since they felt i had maxed out on transfusions and should not have any more but that also improved after a few years to normal limits. The body can take a long time to recover from Weg damage if it does recover as it can be very slow process. Some things don't improve and damage is permanent and become your new normal. I lost my hearing, balance, and large part of lung function but some other things did improve. Some like neuropathy seem to be progressive and continue to get worse but I also have diabetes which contributes to my neuropathy as well as my kidney damage so the improvement in my kidney function was very unexpected and fortunate for me. i recommend a high level of vigilance about kidney function. Our departed Guru, Jack, often warned about this since he lost his kidney function in a very short period of time. A good nephrologist is important for regular check ups.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

4. Likes Alysia liked this post