Thread: Tips or tricks for a cold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tips or tricks for a cold?

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. Some of you may have heard about the devastating fire that completely decimated major portions of the County I live in. I say fire when it was actually 4 separate big fires in 4 parts of the county. The largest was just officially designated as the worst disaster in California history and just happens to be the one who took aim on the city that I live in. Entire neighborhoods were obliterated, the fire leaped over a 6 lane highwaty and flattened a business park, several businesses and the neighborhood behind them. So far 23 people have passed away, with about 19 more still missing. Some of these people may never be found due to the intensity and high temperatures of the fire. The thought of that is devastating.
    I was woken up in the middle of the night with a call for help from work. I responded to work in what I can only describe as a living hell ... I thought for sure that the apocalypse was upon us and I was never going to see my family again. This may seem dramatic, but until you've driven towards what looks like hell and a sky so red and winds sooo strong, and watched flames approach your building where you are unable to leave while smoke fills the building, the power goes out, the water stops working ... you may not have those thoughts in your head. I have since that moment been working 15 hour days, with not a lot of time off. When I have been off at night, i haven't been sleeping. I have nightmares from the things I saw, and the things I heard. I think I talked to some of those 23 aforementioned dead people. I'm not sure. but, when every call I answered was me telling people to get out to save their life ... well, it's a good possibility that in the height of the fire, they didn't make it.

In light of this intense stress, lack of sleep, and poor diet (we've been at the mercy of whatever has been inside our center because we didn't have staffing for breaks), I am starting to feel like I am getting a cold. My throat hurts INCREDIBLY bad, I am starting to get stuffy, and I am starting to cough. I am two months into this last RTX infusion, and I want to combat this cold because I don't exactly have time to be off. I am out of sick time. I have plenty of vacation and compensation time to use but ... we are still in the middle of a major crisis at work and ... I can't leave them short.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks for kicking a cold out before it can take hold? The last time I've actually had any colds they immediately become bronchitis and I am out for like a week. I need to kick it now.

Thanks everyone!!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tips or tricks for a cold?

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. Some of you may have heard about the devastating fire that completely decimated major portions of the County I live in. I say fire when it was actually 4 separate big fires in 4 parts of the county. The largest was just officially designated as the worst disaster in California history and just happens to be the one who took aim on the city that I live in. Entire neighborhoods were obliterated, the fire leaped over a 6 lane highwaty and flattened a business park, several businesses and the neighborhood behind them. So far 23 people have passed away, with about 19 more still missing. Some of these people may never be found due to the intensity and high temperatures of the fire. The thought of that is devastating.
    I was woken up in the middle of the night with a call for help from work. I responded to work in what I can only describe as a living hell ... I thought for sure that the apocalypse was upon us and I was never going to see my family again. This may seem dramatic, but until you've driven towards what looks like hell and a sky so red and winds sooo strong, and watched flames approach your building where you are unable to leave while smoke fills the building, the power goes out, the water stops working ... you may not have those thoughts in your head. I have since that moment been working 15 hour days, with not a lot of time off. When I have been off at night, i haven't been sleeping. I have nightmares from the things I saw, and the things I heard. I think I talked to some of those 23 aforementioned dead people. I'm not sure. but, when every call I answered was me telling people to get out to save their life ... well, it's a good possibility that in the height of the fire, they didn't make it.

In light of this intense stress, lack of sleep, and poor diet (we've been at the mercy of whatever has been inside our center because we didn't have staffing for breaks), I am starting to feel like I am getting a cold. My throat hurts INCREDIBLY bad, I am starting to get stuffy, and I am starting to cough. I am two months into this last RTX infusion, and I want to combat this cold because I don't exactly have time to be off. I am out of sick time. I have plenty of vacation and compensation time to use but ... we are still in the middle of a major crisis at work and ... I can't leave them short.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks for kicking a cold out before it can take hold? The last time I've actually had any colds they immediately become bronchitis and I am out for like a week. I need to kick it now.

Thanks everyone!!
    Thank you for the work you are doing there. We have a neice, her husband, and 3 small children who lost their home in Santa Rosa.

I have had the most success when I use a product that contains zinc, like throat drops. It helps to take them as soon as possible when symptoms appear. Hope you find relief soon, and may God give you extra strength for your work!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

3. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I am so sorry for your family's loss. We have SO many employees that work here that were affected as well as so many friend/family/extended family. The loss is at such a scale that I don't even know where to begin.

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had ok results with Xicam and Airborne. When I was younger, stupid, and not afflicted with wegs, I’d take a double dose of Corricidin D with a shot of bourbon...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

6. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nikki,

It sounds like hell.... my heart is going out to the people and animals out there in the fires areas...

Can it be that what you feel is a reaction to the smoke ?

If it is a cold, check this thread:https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis....-Rid-of-a-Cold

Take care.
    Last edited by Alysia; 10-24-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Link didnt work
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

8. Likes Pete, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for your responses. The coughing I did think was a reaction to the smoke since I spent 15 hours in a room full of smoke that it seemed no amount of fans could disperse. Then, everywhere we went outside was smoky and hard to breathe. People were wearing masks all over, I never did because the masks make me feel claustrophobic. I know, that's a dumb reason. I just didn't like it. I didn't spend time outside except for walking to and from the car to work.
    I still feel like I am going to get sick. My sinuses are angry, I am either stuffy or runny, the same old sore in the very tip of my nose has flared up angry. I feel dizzy and kind of weak. I haven't been to CrossFit since the fires started which makes me sad ... but at the same time, I just can't do that feeling like this yet. I am hoping to go tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would do a lot of sinus rinses, take max dosage of generic Muccinex, and some extra vitamin C plus drinks lots of liquid (water) and gargle a lot for sore throat. Mild salt water seems best but brandy feels stronger but any mouth wash will work as well. Suck on throat lozenges often too.

I would also recommend some post trauma counseling if they provide any for you since there can be a big emotional crash after being in crisis mode for awhile. A nice vacation break will be good when you feel safe to do it.

Many people thank you for your service and the lives you helped save. I admire your courage and strength to do your job. It is even more impressive that you can do it with your health issues. Thank you for your service.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

11. Likes Pete, Dirty Don, Alysia liked this post