Thread: Prednisone and diet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Prednisone and diet

Hi all,

I'm currently on 60mg/day of prednisone and I want to eat everything I can get my hands on all day and night long.

I've read that prednisone increases water retention and inhibits absorption of calcium so it's recommended to drink plenty of water and eat a diet that's:

• Low in saturated fat
    • Low in sodium
    • Low in simple sugars
    • High in potassium
    • High in calcium
    • High in protein (fish/chicken)
    • Avoid all licorice and grapefruit

I really love beets and (especially the greens) are very high in potassium, fiber, and also have the side-effect of lowering blood pressure. They're a pain to prepare though, and pickled beets have added sugar and salt. I could eat them every day, though.

I'm thinking about just picking up a few pounds of celery, chopping them up, and snacking on them like popcorn but I can picture that getting old really quickly. I just want stuff I can eat all day without feeling like I'm killing myself. I can't really get much exercise with the condition I'm in at the moment so I really need to get my diet under control before I give myself diabetes.

Should I go so far as to monitor my blood sugar levels and blood pressure? So much about GPA feels like it's out of my control that I feel like I really need to take my diet seriously, especially with how awful prednisone can be to the body.

Any helpful information, tips, or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Prednisone and diet

Chicken wings. I eat them often. They're good both straight out of the oven and cold from the fridge. Celery itself is boring but if you use a stick of celery as a spoon when eating cottage cheese it becomes a whole new level of awesome. Cheese and apple is also a nice combination. A low GI option is brown rice with say, chicken breast. I cook my brown rice in chicken stock to give it that extra bit of taste. Oats (oatmeal I think you call it over your way) with honey and yoghurt is a really nice breakfast that keeps the hunger at bay for a while.

Never hurts to monitor your blood pressure. You could check your blood sugars too I guess if you're not pre-disposed to issues in that area it might not need to be done.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

4. Likes howard, Alysia, mishb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The recommended @howard posted is healthy, but can get boring.

As for exercise, start with just a little and increase pace and duration gradually. When I started walking for fitness, I could only walk about 100 meters. But, adding just a little more each day, I was able to work up to walking about 5 km in about 50 minutes each day. I’m also adding swimming and am up to 750 meters. I plan to be able to swim 1,500 meters non stop in about 30 minutes.

Good luck!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

6. Likes howard, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you cook the oats and then add the yogurt? Or are you putting the oats in yogurt and honey overnight in the fridge? We call it "overnight oats" here in the States. I am trying to find a way to manage my eating and oats are the most filling but then when I see how many calories, etc, I cringe.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NikkiNicole, I eat oatmeal just about every day. I make my oatmeal using organic quick oats and whole milk. To that, I add a teaspoon of coconut oil. (Microwave on high for two minutes.) I add a handful of raisins (fresh berries would be good too) and a teaspoon of honey. My breakfast routine is a couple of cups of black coffee and oatmeal. My midday meal is more of a snack — a piece of fruit and a whole milk yogurt cup. I eat a decent supper, usually a protein, a starch (usually sweet potatoes or roasted potatoes, and a good garden salad. My biggest battle is after dinner snacking, and I’ve pretty well eliminated that.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

9. Likes Alysia, Arleta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    @NikkiNicole, I eat oatmeal just about every day. I make my oatmeal using organic quick oats and whole milk. To that, I add a teaspoon of coconut oil. (Microwave on high for two minutes.) I add a handful of raisins (fresh berries would be good too) and a teaspoon of honey. My breakfast routine is a couple of cups of black coffee and oatmeal. My midday meal is more of a snack — a piece of fruit and a whole milk yogurt cup. I eat a decent supper, usually a protein, a starch (usually sweet potatoes or roasted potatoes, and a good garden salad. My biggest battle is after dinner snacking, and I’ve pretty well eliminated that.
    That sounds delicious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland