Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Your opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your opinion

I do not know what is happening, when I left the hospital I was only 75 kg, now 94 kg, I can not stop eating.
    I'm not feeding on healthy things and it hurts my health,
    I need your help in weight loss, a healthy diet for a sufferer from the wegener.
    thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jeto,

I assume you'reu on a high dosage of prednisone that would explain the large appetite. If so, that will make your weight loss more difficult. That said, here are some things you can try.

Exercise will help you gain strength and burn calories. If you're not exercising now, talk to your doctor about an exercise program. Start slowly and increase your effort as your strength increases. I currently walk about 5+ km almost every day.

Recommended foods include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially things like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Don't each much grain. Eat only healthy fats from dairy and plants. Avoid highly processed food products that have a lot of salt, added sugars, preservatives, flavor enhancers, and trans fats. Alcohol in moderation is ok. Avoid soda pop (sweetened, flavored carbonated water). Drink more water (either sparkling or still).

Things will get easier as your prednisone dosage decreases.

I hope this helps.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes jeto, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeap, it's pred. I'm guessing you can't sleep either. And, you're probably a bit grouchy. Its all part of being a pred-head.

5. Likes jeto, whatthewhat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hi Jeto,

I assume you'reu on a high dosage of prednisone that would explain the large appetite. If so, that will make your weight loss more difficult. That said, here are some things you can try.

Exercise will help you gain strength and burn calories. If you're not exercising now, talk to your doctor about an exercise program. Start slowly and increase your effort as your strength increases. I currently walk about 5+ km almost every day.

Recommended foods include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially things like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Don't each much grain. Eat only healthy fats from dairy and plants. Avoid highly processed food products that have a lot of salt, added sugars, preservatives, flavor enhancers, and trans fats. Alcohol in moderation is ok. Avoid soda pop (sweetened, flavored carbonated water). Drink more water (either sparkling or still).

Things will get easier as your prednisone dosage decreases.

I hope this helps.
    Hi Pete

I am wondering if it OK to have a glass a wine once a week? Pharmacy said NOT to drink on MTX at all. Thanksgiving today and I would love nothing more then to enjoy my dinner with a glass of wine.
    Also I was told I can't take Tylenol with MTX for the pain, again not sure why.

Hoping you can help on this question Pete, I get don't drink every day but once in a while shouldn't be bad one would think, but hey I don't know enough just yet to make that call on my own.

7. Likes jeto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was in 45mg pred. a day but now im jus 5mg a day and 100mg endoxan tablete

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan55 View Post
    Hi Pete

I am wondering if it OK to have a glass a wine once a week? Pharmacy said NOT to drink on MTX at all. Thanksgiving today and I would love nothing more then to enjoy my dinner with a glass of wine.
    Also I was told I can't take Tylenol with MTX for the pain, again not sure why.

Hoping you can help on this question Pete, I get don't drink every day but once in a while shouldn't be bad one would think, but hey I don't know enough just yet to make that call on my own.
    When I was on mtx, I didn't drink wine at all because the alcohol free wines are just grape juice and too fruity for my taste. I found a couple of NA beers that I liked (0-0.5% ABV). After about 18 months, I would have a glass of wine or a beer once a month or so. I had no issues with that. As an aside, the US mtx protocol eliminates alcohol, but the European protocol allows an "occasional" drink.

As for Tylenol, it's also hard on the liver, so most doctors recommend against using it in concert with mtx. However, N-SAIDS are hard on the kidneys, so it becomes a pick your poison proposition. I don't have any chronic pain issues, so I take a couple of extra-strength Tylenol for the occasional headache with no problems. My CMP labs are close to normal and stable, so my doc says that's ok.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jeto,
    If it's not the pred making you hungry, then having a good appetite is a sign of good health.
    But obviously you don't want to become overweight. I've always struggled with my weight even though I eat a healthy diet. I was referred to a dietitian who agreed that my diet was healthy. He told me to start to weigh out my portions after telling me the weight they should be. It turned out that my portion sizes were far too generous. So even a healthy diet will make you gain weight if portion control isn't kept an eye on.
    The first week or so, I felt hungry a lot of the time, but now I'm still eating sensible size portions, but they now fill be up.
    One more thing, protein rich foods are the foods that keep you fuller for longer. I used to think filling up on carb rich foods like bread, pasta and potatoes filled me up, which they did, but I'd soon get hungry again.
    Distraction is also the best appetite suppressor in my opinion. If I'm sat at home relaxing I often want to eat, but if I'm busy doing DIY, housework, or keeping myself busy out of home I don't tend to think about food.
    Diagnosed April 1995

12. Likes jeto, Alysia, Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When I was on mtx, I didn't drink wine at all because the alcohol free wines are just grape juice and too fruity for my taste. I found a couple of NA beers that I liked (0-0.5% ABV). After about 18 months, I would have a glass of wine or a beer once a month or so. I had no issues with that. As an aside, the US mtx protocol eliminates alcohol, but the European protocol allows an "occasional" drink.

As for Tylenol, it's also hard on the liver, so most doctors recommend against using it in concert with mtx. However, N-SAIDS are hard on the kidneys, so it becomes a pick your poison proposition. I don't have any chronic pain issues, so I take a couple of extra-strength Tylenol for the occasional headache with no problems. My CMP labs are close to normal and stable, so my doc says that's ok.
    Good thank you for clearing that up for me hugs