User Tag List

Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling is Possible! (MikeG's Swiss Adventure)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Travelling is Possible! (MikeG's Swiss Adventure)

For those of you who think that, since you have this awful disease, you cannot travel and do the things you love, I would like to tell you that it is possible! My wife and I spent two weeks in Switzerland at the end of July and early August.

Finding the right tour was the most important thing for the two of us, and we did find the right tour company--Funny Farm Travel of Mt. Horeb, WI. What a great family of third generation tour guides!

We stayed in Ringgenberg, Switzerland at the Hotel Baren for the entire two weeks. That was very important to us to base camp at one place and not have to be uprooted every day to stay somewhere new every night. We were able to adjust to the room, the bed, the breakfast and dinner schedules--you get the idea. The other nice thing is that our luggage was checked from O'Hare to the Interlaken train station and the tour company picked up our bags and brought them to our hotel (they also checked us in to our plane and delivered our checked bags to the train station the day before we left. So we did not have to deal with pulling luggage all around the country.

We used a Swiss travel pass to travel all modes of public transportation the entire time we were there. That is an amazing piece of paper. If you ever travel to Europe, look into a travel pass for the country you are visiting; It will save you a lot of money for an extended stay.

We saw so much when we were there, and even with a bad knee, we hiked (at our own pace) around the mountain from the Männlichen to the Kleine Sheidigg. That was an amazing two hours!

We took the time off from the tour to reconnect with all of my wife's cousins. Now that we have a Swiss family, we are invited back any time we want to go. Nice!

Anyway, just wanted to put out there that you do not have to let this disease win over your life! Get out there and do what you can!!

If any of you want to see photos of our trip, I uploaded a bunch (unedited) to www.flikr.com/mrgvideo
    (If you are OCD, start at the bottom and work your way up--that is the order in which they were taken) (-8

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is really neat that you got to go to Switzerland. You're right... Travel is very doable. in mid-Sep we are being interviewed by Canadian and US border control to get our NEXUS card. That should make things a bit easier. We prefer to fly mil air, tho, and don't need any special entry. We are hoping to go back to the UK this winter and then on to Germany, but I found out yesterday that the new knee I got last Feb has to be replaced. That will be done in Nov, so will impact travel for a couple months. The hypopara issue still plagues me, but I'm off the opiates for the moment. Generally, I feel like crap, but still charging forward.

3. Likes Alysia, mishb, renidrag, annekat, MikeG-2012, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last spring, Cathy and I spent 3+ weeks overseas -- France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Scotland. Mike is right about the right tour company. Since we wanted to see a lot of places, we spent two weeks with GoAhead Tours. We traveled with them from Mannheim/Heidelberg, Germany, to Vienna. We also did 10 days on our own. It was great to have the flexibility. We generally did day trip adventures to Mont Ste Michel, D-Day beaches, Rhine cruise, Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Stuttgart, and the Edinburgh area in Scotland. Having the tour company handle bags was great. The tour director came through in the clutch when Cathy got sick. She got a doctor to our hotel room in Munich within two hours.

The bottom line is to not let the disease rule your life!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

5. Likes Alysia, mishb, renidrag, annekat, MikeG-2012, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made the biggest travel of my life, from Israel to Canada, twice, to take care of my sweet Phil during his last months on earth. It was the only year I was in remission. Divine providence.

What about some pictures ?

Here are some from our trip to Banff and Canmore. There are also pics of us in my albums.

20140717_010430.jpg

No idea why I get the pic on the side.. ? Trying another one...

20140719_173238.jpg
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

7. Likes mishb, renidrag, annekat, MikeG-2012, Jaha, Geoff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely agree with you all and love the freedom, that I have now, to travel, when I manage to save a few dollars that is.

For those wishing to travel, just make sure you take the appropriate precautions, as in hand sanitisers etc, make sure you have your WG paperwork and also ensure you know where hospitals are, on your travels.

Mike I'm so glad you got to have a wonderful vacation.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

9. Likes renidrag, Alysia, annekat, MikeG-2012, Jaha, Geoff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take enough pred for the trip 😜
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

11. Likes annekat, mishb, MikeG-2012, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice pics, Mike, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were able to have such a great time!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

13. Likes MikeG-2012, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to hear that you had a great trip

15. Likes MikeG-2012, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Generally, I feel like crap, but still charging forward.
    Glad to hear that you are off the pain killers, and are moving forward! I'll get my new knee on December 7th (I hope!)
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

17. Likes Pete, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Take enough pred for the trip 
    I did indeed--even though I have been off of it for two years!

I also had addresses and phone numbers of doctors in the region that were providers that specialize in ENT and Rheum.
    MikeG-2012

19. Likes Jaha, blu4runner, Alysia liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast