User Tag List

Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Sore red eye or inflammation question? Can this be GPA related?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sore red eye or inflammation question? Can this be GPA related?

At my first follow up visit after a lengthy hospital treatment for GPA (Wegener's) seven years ago my treating advised me to find an eye doctor that would see me immediately if I had any eye problems or changes in vision. He said since you lost your hearing we want to try save your vision.

I had scleritis before my diagnosis of GPA and have also had some infections of the eye and lids since my diagnosis of GPA.

I developed cellulitis three weeks ago on the back of my skull near my BAHA site and have been taking oral antibiotics since then. Cellulitis is a high risk problem for people with diabetes or suppressed immune systems and I have both. I had an MRI a week ago that confirmed cellulitis and indicated that if the infection was in the skull bone it was mild so far. Other wise I would need IV antibiotics for a longer period of time. I have another 14 days left on my oral antibiotic.

The cellulitis was not responding to treatment and moved down to my neck a week ago and seemed to be getting worse till I stopped my immuno-suppressant drug of aziothioprine three days ago. My eye looked red when I woke up two days ago. Other people have told me they have had a similar experience from a broken blood vessel in their eye but no other symptoms other that the bloody looking red eye so it was not big deal.

My eye feels dry and has mild pain of feeling like being poked in the eye. My eye is watering a bit and vision seems slight blurred. I am seeing an optometrist to have it examined in a a coupe hours. Of course local doctors are not very familiar with GPA or its complications but should be able to diagnose any other eye disease or problem that might be causing my symptoms.

The optometrist said it looks like a routine rupture of a blood vessel from unknown cause and many people experience such events and they generally resolve in week or two. using normal eyes drops like "Refresh" to help the eye feel better is all that is necessary. This was a relief to hear.

I hope my sore eye is not related to any GPA activity but wanted to inquire on here if any one has had similar symptoms that appeared related to GPA activity. Tomorrow I plan to start tapering my azathioprine back up to my maintenance dosage of 175 mg daily. I will do this by starting with 50 the first day, then 100 the next, then 150, and 200 and then resume my normal maintenance dosage. Of course if the cellulitis flares back up or gets worse again I may have to adjust this or continue to hold the immuno-suppressant med.

Unfortunately I have several drug allergies and may be developing one to the cephalosporin since I have noticed some itching on my wrists which could further complicate my treatment of the cellulitis.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had any similar experiences.
    Last edited by drz; 08-05-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: addition of new info
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi drz.
    I am so sorry for the though time you are going through. Thank you for sharing with us.
    I had wg flare in the eyes on 2015 so I try to remember how it felt: my eyes were red, burning like fire, very aching with every movement of the pupils to the right or the left. Vision was blurred on and off. Reading was very tough. I had then episcleritis which was wg related and conjunctivitis which was not wg related. I had white productions from the eyes in the mornings.
    I got pred eye drops and antibiotics eye drops. Also refresh drops.
    Be careful to use only refresh eye drops which come in one use ampule without perservatives. At first I got refresh drops in one bottle which contained perservatives and which made me an allergic reaction.
    I suggest you see an eye dr asap. Better an opthalmologist if possible. They know best about wg. If it takes time to see one regularly consider going to ER for that.
    It might be just serious dry eye but if it is then it should recover fast with the refresh drops. It might be wg related or just an eye infection or allergic reaction to one of the meds you are taking. I also suggest you will do your labs. Many times wg comes in more the one symptom as you know.
    I keep you in my prayers. Please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

3. Likes Pete, drz, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wegs has affected my eyes, the broken blood vessels, eye pain, vision issues, light sensitivity, and inflammation. The sensation of being poked in the eye, and broken blood vessels can be wegs. I suffer chronic dry eye and chronic uvulitis now, I see an optometrist that is familiar with wegs on a regular basis. I am very sorry to hear that issues are popping up on you.
    Thoughts and prayers for you drz!

Pat

5. Likes drz, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My eye is much better and the cellulitis also seems to be responding to the antibiotic. I had stopped my azathioprine to treat the cellulitis but plan to start tapering back up to my maintenance dosage. The optometrist who assess my eye said it was a broken blood vessel from unknown cause but she saw no sign of inflammation or scleritis that might suggest autoimmune activity. This ws a relief for me.

However I did end up in ER room that night though since I developed an allergic rash from antibiotic that was itching and woke me up. I also felt a lump or tightening in my throat which scared me so thought it best to go to the ER two blocks away. I had had a similar feeling when they tried to desensitize me to sulfa meds so I could take Bactrim.

The ER doctor assessment indicated the inflammation in my throat was from GERD acting up again which happened years ago when they feared I might be having stenosis in throat from my Wegs.

The recommendation by ER was to try continue the antibiotic by taking some Zyrtec antihistamine daily and adding randitidine to my usual double dosage of pantroprazole to try control the the GERD inflammation. And to return if this doesn't work or new problems develop before i see my regular internist in three days.

Like wise ole Jack often said on here. Just because you have Wegs doesn't mean you can have some thing else too. We always have to consider Wegs as the reason behind any new health issue or symptom but it is not always the guilty culprit.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

7. Likes Pete, Alysia, pfries, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the update, drz. I am glad that your eyes are better and also the cellullitis thing. Sorry for the allergic reaction. It is good to have ER so close to home.

Sometimes I am not sure if its better for me to find that a new symptom is not wg related or that it is.... the gift that keeps on giving... is it easier to fight a known beast or a new unknown thing ?? I guess it depends...

I keep you in my prayers and wish you a speedy recovery. Please update us.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

9. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I have had an increase in frequency of those subconjuntival hemorrages over the past year or so. For me they are painless and they resolve within a week or so, but I can't help but think they are somehow related to GPA or immune suppression in some way.

11. Likes drz, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My recent gpa flare involved eyes, sinus and lungs . My eye got so swollen I could hardly see. Multiple doctors diagnosed me with orbital cellulitis. CT Scan revealed blacked out spenoid sinus behind my eye that was probably the root cause but multiple doctors at Cleveland clinic said it was the gpa not infection. GPA can give you some weird symptoms . Cleveland clinic has a eye doctor that specializes in GPA.
    i use to get red eyes and my eye doctor had me on some good fish oil omega 3 and it took the red out and dry out within 4 weeks.

13. Likes Pete, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz,
    I hope things continue to improve for you. I have very dry eyes and one of my eyelids is trying to thicken up, witch makes it hurt and itch. They also get blurry, I've had 1 cataract surgery and I know it is the Weg's. I also have the stomach problem and stenosis of the esophagus, they have stretched it twice now. I know some of this is from old age, but I blame it on the Weg's. I wish you all the best. Please take care of yourself!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

15. Likes drz, Alysia liked this post