User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Subglottic Stenosis - What's the recovery from the surgery like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ticklytoes-- if you search "Medical flight charity" in Google, you'll get lots of orgs. Many people use these groups, from children to adults. There are some heroic philanthropists out there. Some will also cover land transport to/from airports or hospitals, etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of times corporations make room available on their private jets -- so it's a nice ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the info guys! i called and checked with my insurance and they cover dr lebovics, and he takes my insurance too. Im excited! Im gonna see who will fly me up there! you guys are great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrific! Can't wait until you have your appointment with him. Keep us posted and I'll bet he can get you off the trach!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whooya! I'm so relieved to know you're going to be in the best hands for this issue. You can trust what he advises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is great Ticklytoes. I too can't wait! You are in good hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jan, I am new on here and have read your story and it is very similar to mine. I also have subglottic stenosis , narrowest is 4mm. I also have it in my bronchi's right and left. Right side size of a straw, and left alittle larger. I have had 5 balloon dialations since Jan. It looks also as if my stenosis has been there for a long time as it is very hard and calcified as the doc says. Mine is hard because I see a thorcic surgeon for the bronchi and really he has been dealing with the subglottic area also but I am seeing a ENT on Wed. that has dealt with a few Wegs patients. The problem is the dialations are shrinking back very quickly . I have not had the chemo drug topically in the areas and I think I will mention that to see if maybe that would help to keep it dialated longer. Doc did try stents but could not get them in my area was just too small. I have read about the resection (which does not sound nice) but if it will permanently fix the subglottic area and help my breathing I would do. I know that it is really close to my vocal cords but i am going to ask the ENT if he would consider if nothing else works. I am starting on IV cytoxan on Mon. If the subglottic area gets fixed then I only have the bronchis. Doc won't do anything stents on that area and he said he cannot resection that area. Hope you are doing okay. Oh the last thing is my anca is negative. I just had everything else elimanated and this is the best guess that they have. Apparently with subglottic stenosis it is common to have a negative anca. It is also all down my nasal passages..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow , I got a lot more info about this kind of surgery here, than from my doctors. Probably because I'm not that good with asking questions. I never know what questions to ask. I usually don't worry much about medical procedures at all, and this surgery don't sound that scary, as I know I'm going to be asleep the whole time. I just hope I won't have to redo it a lot of times. My doctors said I may have to do it several times, but if I did they would consider putting in a stent (?). Can anyone tell me their experience with that? I mean, can you feel it or anything? Well, I shouldn't really be thinking about that now, as I could get lucky. In my experience, I'm never that lucky though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elena, I can't answer your questions about the surgery, but I wanted to respond to your statement that you're not lucky. It's definitely not lucky to have Wegs (or any serious illness). And it's definitely not lucky to have a serious case, which you do. But it is incredibly lucky to have been diagnosed while it could still be treated and before you had major organ damage. Many Weggies are diagnosed on autopsy. It's also incredibly lucky to have access to excellent treatment and doctors. And I'm not sure if Norway has universal health coverage (pretty sure you do) but it's unbelievably lucky not to have to worry about medical bills and insurance, or to have to trade eating for getting drugs.

This is how I think. Every time I'm in a CT scan, getting a rituximab infusion, etc... I think how unbelievably rare it is in the world to have this kind of care. All of us in this group are the luckiest people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know, I am lucky when it comes to things like that. It's just not always easy to keep it in mind. I mean, I see all my friends and family being healthy, like I used to be, and I feel like I am very, very unlucky. But when thinking about all of those who have it much worse, I guess I am lucky. And yes, Norway has universal health coverage. I can't imagine how it must be living in The US and other countries where they don't have that :/

I guess you gave me a bit of perspective just now, and I'll remember it the next time I'm feeling terribly sorry for myself!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast