Likes Likes:  23

Thread: MikeG-2012 - Checking In!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MikeG-2012 - Checking In!

I thought I would check in once again. Had a busy couple of weeks. Had an RTX infusion on Wednesday, June 7, Ortho appointment on Friday, June 9. Found out I have a bone on bone rubbing in my left knee. (photo below) New ortho doc gave me a cortizone injection to get me through the next couple weeks. Sunday, I got on a plane for convention in Orlando. Walked at least 5 miles each day, and on Thursday, 6.7 miles--yea on a bum knee.

Worked two days this week, and had another RTX yesterday. Slept about 4 hours last night and have been up picking up the house, garage, etc. today. Bzzzzz...

Anyway, feeling OK, and feel strong. Still taking off the pounds--50 so far this year. Trying to get exercise, despite how my knee feels, and it hurts daily. I still walk at least 3 miles a day on campus. That has helped me gain some of the lost muscle mass back in my legs that was lost over the course of three years.

Now that I know what my knee issue is, I am confident to get the motorcycle out again. Yipee!

Hope all of you are well, and I hope to see some of you this weekend in Chicago!!

IMG_0645.jpg
    Yea, left one HURTS--all the time!!
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 06-23-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted to attend that Chicago event, but ended up having other business that took up my available travel time and budget. I love Chicago and was kind of glad to have an excuse to go there, plus to meet some of you.

Mike, are you a knee replacement candidate? My wife has had both of hers done. It's not a fun thing to go through but ultimately is worth it if you are hurting all the time.

3. Likes annekat, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about the knee, Mike. I'm having a hard time fully recovering from a fractured pelvis, and also having some left knee pain, since the whole leg and hip on the opposite side from the fracture is being stubborn. My knee pain is minor compared to yours, no doubt! But your story gets me thinking about what could be in the future. That's a lot of walking to do on a bum knee!.. Yep, time to break out the motorcycle.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

5. Likes Alysia, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at EXOGEN. They make ultrasonic bone stimulators that are for stubborn fractures. Several people I have referred to the product have had significant improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

7. Likes Alysia, Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Mike... The bone is healed, it's the other stuff, muscles and tendons, etc., that's having trouble adjusting to the injury. Getting better, though. And I'll take a look at Exogen.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

9. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad knee, Mike! Are you going to have it replaced? Both of mine have been replaced. I beat them up pretty bad from 30 years of running.

The latest on me is quite interesting. Wegener's is in drug-free remission. I'm off the mtx and pred. I'm also off the opiates. I'm now down to 15 drugs/day, which is a record low for the past 7 years. Apparently, Mayo was correct and I do have fibromyalgia on top of weg's. At least, the muscle pain is responding to a typical FM treatment regimen. I'm not feeling great, but I'm feeling well enough to get things done on a day-to-day basis, so that's nice.

11. Likes annekat, drz, Alysia, Jaha, mishb, TommyG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Bad knee, Mike! Are you going to have it replaced? Both of mine have been replaced. I beat them up pretty bad from 30 years of running.
    There is probably a replacement in my future. There is a clinic near me (Ortho-Illinois) where I went for a second opinion and the x-rays (where I go the cortisone shot). They are doing an outpatient knee replacement. Pretty cool. In at 7:00 a.m., out at 4-6 hours later with a walker or even a cane. (more here) I'm hoping/looking at having this done over our holiday break this December. Haven't talked to the doc yet, but I see him mid July again and will discuss timing and dates then.

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    The latest on me is quite interesting. Wegener's is in drug-free remission. I'm off the mtx and pred. I'm also off the opiates. I'm now down to 15 drugs/day, which is a record low for the past 7 years. Apparently, Mayo was correct and I do have fibromyalgia on top of weg's. At least, the muscle pain is responding to a typical FM treatment regimen. I'm not feeling great, but I'm feeling well enough to get things done on a day-to-day basis, so that's nice.
    Glad to hear that you are finally getting some relief!!! Life can be SO MUCH BETTER when not in pain!!
    MikeG-2012

13. Likes Jaha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news vdub!!! Glad to hear wegs is under control and that the fibromyalgia is responding to treatment. Are you enjoying the MG at all?
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

15. Likes Jaha, Alysia liked this post