Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off prednisone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Treesie,how long have you been on it ? Are you on any other meds ? Good luck and I hope you never have to take another one !
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

2. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Treesie!
    Hope all is going well with your Prednisone taper! I was wondering how your doctor first started tapering you off? My doctor keeps me on a dosage for about 4 weeks, then brings me down 20mg. So I was on 80mg, then almost 4 weeks later, went down to 60mg. But I seemed to noticed more side effects of Prednisone when I made that big jump, so now that I'm going to 40mg, I asked my doctor if I could taper slower and cut the pills in half, which she said yes to. So over the last week, I've gone from 60mg to 50mg and today at 45mg and at the end of this week I'll be at 40mg. What was your experience like when you first began to taper off? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed in May 2012. At first I was on 80 mg prednisone, and I was instructed to taper down 10 mg every two weeks until I got to 20. I then held at 20 for several months, while we dealt with persistent low hemoglobin and white blood cell counts.

We eventually got the blood counts straightened out...partially caused by the fact that I am a slow metabolizer of imuran. Switched to celcept and over the next year or so, I slowly went down in 2.5 mg increments until I got to 2.5 mg every other day.

But then I had a flare and went back up to 20 mg and got rituxan (Sept. 2015). Went back into remission by Christmas. Worked my way back down by 2.5 mg again until I was down to 5 mg every other day. This took about four months.

Stayed on 5 mg every other day for about a year. Then started going down by 0.5 mg every couple weeks until I got down to 2.5 mg every other day.

Stayed at 2.5 mg every other day for about six weeks, then began dropping by 0.5 mg again every couple weeks until I got to 0.5.

Stayed at 0.5 for about 3 weeks, then went to 0.

My doctor gave me quite a bit of control over the timing of each of my drops. A few times I went back up slightly for a few days based on how my energy levels were at the time.

Since I've been off, my hands and knees have been a bit achy, but more like osteoarthritis achiness that gets better once I loosen up than the pain I experienced when flaring.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

5. Likes Jaha, Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you can stay at zero.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

7. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hope you can stay at zero.
    Ditto! It was amazing to me to be off of it, both physically and mentally!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

9. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow....you've been on a long journey! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. The info regarding your tapering does help me! Thank you! I'm going to continue with the slow taper...much better than jumping 20mg down!

11. Likes Jaha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I can get my adrenal glands back up and running so I can wean off without going through withdrawals. I hate being on this, I have noticed such a change in myself being on it.Congrats to you
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

13. Likes Jaha liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12