Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dental work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dental work

Do Wegener patients need special dentists? I posted on an online forum and am getting mixed responses.

I went to the dentist since I had a filling cone lose and I wanted to get ahead of it. Turns out I have a terrible cavity that I was unaware of but I know if I don't get it fixed it could abscess. I went to my dentist and they said they wanted it in writing they can perform the procedure since they knew nothing about Wegener's.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a regular dentist with no problems. I asked my rheumatologist about pre-dosing an antibiotic prior to any dental work. She said my 3x weekly bactrim DS would be fine, and it has been. I've had two crowns put in and four teeth (three wisdom teeth that were starting to deteriorate and a split bicuspid) extracted with no issues.

However, I was in remission when all this work was done. I don't know what might happen if your disease is active.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I see a regular dentist with no problems. I asked my rheumatologist about pre-dosing an antibiotic prior to any dental work. She said my 3x weekly bactrim DS would be fine, and it has been. I've had two crowns put in and four teeth (three wisdom teeth that were starting to deteriorate and a split bicuspid) extracted with no issues.

However, I was in remission when all this work was done. I don't know what might happen if your disease is active.
    I'm newly in remission but don't want to rock the boat.
    Thanks, I will ask them again since it will require more than just a filling like I had previously thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vansyckle73 View Post
    I'm newly in remission but don't want to rock the boat.
    Thanks, I will ask them again since it will require more than just a filling like I had previously thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I had 4 teeth extracted that sound a little like Pete's...2 Wisdoms that had rotted and the rot had spread to the adjacent molars, so all 4 had to go... I was NOT considered in remission but my disease activity was pretty well under control after a year of treatment, and my dentist and orthodontic surgeon were university professors who knew more about Wegener's than your average dentist... They didn't see a problem with it, vs. leaving the rotten teeth in to get worse. I don't even think they had me stop my meds, but had me use a prophylactic antiobiotic, or maybe they relied on the Bactrim I was taking... I don't remember for sure, and everything went just fine. I'd say if you are in remission, to go ahead and do it, rather than let it get worse and abcess, though it might be better to have a dentist who knew a little more. For example, one from a university teaching hospital, as I had. Or just share these responses with your regular dentist and sign the form he wants​. Good luck.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by annekat; 04-19-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good dentist will learn what they need to know to treat you appropriately. Wegs generally leads to us being high users of dental services. Regular checkups and cleaning are important since we are more at risk for various dental problems. We may also be more susceptible to mouth sores and infections too which can create extra problems for us too. For years I had very little dental work done and usually had good check ups but since Wegs I have had much work done for broken teeth, root canals, repair of fillings or new ones for new cavities, and treatment for mouth sores and even sinus infections which i thought were a dental problem as it caused pain in my jaw.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm..good question since I will needing a bunch of work done.I am not on Bactrim and not big on taking antibiotics since the c-diff incident. I will have to ask the rheumy that one. I know that one dentist I went to for a second opinion wants me to have a periodontal scraping but I have heard horror stories about that and the other dentist wants $ 130.00 just to consult me to see how bad it is. I didn't even ask her what she charges to do it. I'm still fighting getting my other tooth fixed. Let me know what you find out
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to get different opinions in Australia too.
    My dentist wouldn't do any work, without permission from my Rheumy, but I know that many Aussies with vasculitis, get work done without an issue or a letter.
    Also, mine that wanted the letter, did not want me to have antibiotics, but others that didn't want a letter, suggested a course of antibiotics one week prior to the dental work.
    Go figure.
    I had a clean and a filling, without an issue, and without antibiotics

I hope you get things fixed soon
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS