Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rituximab and runny nose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituximab and runny nose

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this as a side effect of Rituximab. I had two doses of Rituximab in December 2016 after having six IV doses of Amphotericin B.

Since then I have had two upper respiratory tract infections and I was given antibiotics. Although the colds seem to go quite quickly, I have a permanently snotty nose, which is either yellow or clear viscous fluid, sometimes streaked with brownish fluid. I am concerned that the latter is aspergillus infection again , but my consultant thinks it's blood, sorry for the gory detail guys.

Also I have a productive cough which is pretty much the same as the nasal stuff. Is this a side effect of Rituximab? Before I had Rituximab I generally had a mildly runny nose and I mostly coughed up varying amounts of blood, nothing much else unless I had a viral infection.

I do use a fluticasone nasal spray, and if I don't my nose gets crusted and sore.

I'm sorry if this issue has been raised before!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just dx'd in August 16 and am about to have my the last infusion of my 2nd round since the hospital on Thursday. I have had several issues with upper respiratory drainage and coughing since the hospital. At first, I would freak out and call the pulmonologist, who also seemed to freak out and call in an antibiotic. Now that I've settled down somewhat, I use an alternating combo of Mucinex, Neti pot rinses, Flonase, and sometimes Claritin. It does seem to get worse after Rituxin. I don't know if this answers your question, or helps at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a bit of nasal involvement with disease onset. The pulmonologists on the team that dxed me suggested taking 10 mg/day of loratidiene and 2x10 mg/day of phenylephrine. I've been doing this since dx. The only time I have a runny nose is when I have a cold. A benefit I didn't expect is that I no longer have hay fever or an allergic reaction to animal dander.

I do sinus rinses when the air is very dry or when I have a cold. I also use a special nasal cream from Cleveland Clinic to keep the crusting to a minimum.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your responses. That's really helpful.

I am visiting family in Australia, I live in the UK. I am on my third upper respiratory tract virus this year, I had one when I left the UK, so about three weeks in between. I found that the plane journey, about 24 hours travelling helped! I think it was the dry, cool air. I had a slightly elevated temp when I left and didn't feel great. From what I've read Rituximab doesn't predispose you to get more viral infections but may predispose you to secondary bacterial infection. My consultant says to increase my dose of prednisolone for three days and take an antibiotic and this seems to have worked so far.

I am hoping that the increased viral infections are just bad luck!

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    luan22 Guest

Default Re: Rituximab and runny nose

I also had a runny nose and it was uncomfortable

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much have a constant runny nose & can get a lot of crusts if I do not take care of my sinuses. I have a hard time doing a netti pot because I cannot clear my Eustachian tubes & pretty much have constant ear pain. Flonase really burns my nose. So I have found this fabulous saline gel nose spray & follow it up with putting Ayr gel up my nose. I do this twice a day & it really helps. I also have not had nearly as many sinus infections as normal because I’m always flushing them out. I know this does not really answer your question but may help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes drz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Natrice, have you tried using a decongestant to help dry your sinuses? I take 10 mg of loratidiene and 2x10 mg of Phenylephrine daily. It’s helped a lot. Talk to your doc before doing this. Mine suggested it.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had sinus problems just after treatments, normally about 5 or 6 weeks after. In saying this i have had the same for the past 6 years so a year before the infusions....
    Ben

Diagnosed in 2013

Never, never, never give up! (Winston Churchill)

What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be.... (Not found out yet)