Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: for those whose onset was sinus-related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irene, I just saw further back that you had vertigo for a year! How awful... Sounds like it was connected to Lyme's, which I know nothing about except that it's awful. I have sporadic and troubling vertigo. Always trying to fight it off by limiting caffeine, having certain meds on hand, some OTC stuff. Staying well hydrated seems to help. My ENT thinks I could have Menieres disease, which comes and goes. I also suspect Wegs and weather, plus balance issues from double vision, bad feet, and lately using crutches. It gets so complicated to figure out. I had vertigo right after a physical therapy session a couple​ weeks ago and am not going back. Since then, I've managed to overcome it and am doing OK. I hope you don't get vertigo again.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoswim View Post
    I don't know what to believe. He felt my blood work didn't prove I had Wegs, yet he didn't really know a lot about ANCA readings.

There are other kinds of ANCA related vasculitis. Do a google search for those and see if your symptoms match up with one of them.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    There are other kinds of ANCA related vasculitis. Do a google search for those and see if your symptoms match up with one of them.
    The two I'm aware of are microscopic polyangiitis (MPA) and Churrg-Strauss, l think, besides Wegs. Still seems weird that the good blood work and other absence of symptoms would be there with P-ANCA. We'll see what the rheumy has to say!

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Irene, I just saw further back that you had vertigo for a year! How awful... Sounds like it was connected to Lyme's, which I know nothing about except that it's awful. I have sporadic and troubling vertigo. Always trying to fight it off by limiting caffeine, having certain meds on hand, some OTC stuff. Staying well hydrated seems to help. My ENT thinks I could have Menieres disease, which comes and goes. I also suspect Wegs and weather, plus balance issues from double vision, bad feet, and lately using crutches. It gets so complicated to figure out. I had vertigo right after a physical therapy session a couple​ weeks ago and am not going back. Since then, I've managed to overcome it and am doing OK. I hope you don't get vertigo again.
    Hi Anne, vertigo is terrifying and debilitating. I've had episodes where I couldn't move a muscle for 24 hours. Just took xanax so i could sleep it off. I literally crawled to the bathroom, unable to move my head. I felt like someone was throwing my head to the ground. The year long vertigo was different, but awful. Like being seasick 24 hours a day. I was told it was "viral." Uggh, I will PM you about my vertigo episodes, tests and diagnosis. Doctors should be careful about quick diagnosis of Meniere's, which is also rare, and usually accompanied by hearing loss (which i've had for 30+ years), ear fullness (also have that) and drop attacks. (had 1 of those). I was not diagnosed with Meniere's by 90% of the docs I've seen, only 1 said I did have it. Unfortunately, so many meds cause dizziness. But dizziness is different from vertigo. Some of the symptoms I had with the year long vertigo was : head felt like a bowling ball, I was groggy, spacy. Walking in the dark, fans, loud noises, flourescent lights made me feel off balanced and set off tinnitus. When walking, it felt like I never made contact with the ground - as if I had marshmallows in my shoes. Of course, tennis, swimming, basketball was impossible. I was only able to long distance walk, but was grateful for that much. It was so bad, I couldn't even use my electric toothbrush. Then one day I woke up with a clear head and it was over. It lasted 8 months, every single day, all day long. I had a similar attack in the 1980's, lasting almost a year, but I was much younger and it was not as severe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Irene, that sounds awful, and I definitely know people in the general population who've had worse or longer lasting vertigo than mine, and I never hear of any definitive answers as to why they have it. If you research it, there are so many possible causes. My ENT didn't dx me with Menieres, only suggested it as a possibility, and asked me to keep a log of events, which I did for awhile. I do have significant hearing loss from the Wegs, and additionally​, there are times when I get tinnitus along with an over-sensitiviy to noise in my ears, which I've read is a Menieres hallmark. I did have some drop incidents a year or two ago. And my ENT said "some people" are sensitive to barometric pressure changes, producing a full, muffled feeling which I have also experienced. So it is a mixed bag of possibilities. I know there are some clinics that specialize in balance problems, in cities of some driving distance from here. For now, I seem to be over the latest recurring incidents and am trying to be really careful. I limit caffeine greatly, stay well hydrated, try to use less of the meds, and try not to get stressed out, which I've also found can trigger it. I hope we can both keep from having it again, and you can get some insight on the tinnitus you've been having. Best of luck to you!!!

Last edited by annekat; 04-21-2017 at 03:58 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Anne, my tinnitus has been with me most of my life. I ignore it for the most part, but in the Spring, it seems to be a lot worse. Have you ever heard of Spring vertigo? This cold, dry, windy weather we have is the worst on my balance and ear ringing. Not sure what your climate is like in the spring. I also find that muggy, humid, cloudy days are when I feel the best. When temps range from the 50's to 60's my balance can be tempermental. Sounds like you could possibly have Menieres.

It's ironic that when I am the most streed (like when I have to fly, which I HATE) I have no balance problems. It comes on usually without any specific reason or warning.

Do you ever take Dramamine when vertigo comes on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have taken Meclizine, which is one of the versions of Dramamine. Later the ENT said that lorezepam works better for vertigo, so he prescribed that and it's what I take now, either as preventative or when an attack comes on. But it is one to be careful with, as it can set up a dependency and keep the ears from retuning to normal. So I try to take less than what he prescribed. I'm finding lately that drinking a lot of water helps. I also find that one adult dose of pseudoephedrine help. And yes, it does seem to happen more in the spring and fall when there are more weather changes and allergens floating around. So I also take generic Zyrtec at this time of year, or other OTC allergy meds such as Allegra. In May, when the grass pollen hits, I get asthma and will probably need a steroid inhaler. I've heard or been told that Menieres is more of a syndrome than a disease, and whether I have it or not, I feel there are a lot of other factors involved, such as Wegs damage to my sinuses, ears, and lungs, combined with allergies. I think even good docs have a tough time pinning down any one specific cause for some of these things.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I have taken Meclizine, which is one of the versions of Dramamine. Later the ENT said that lorezepam works better for vertigo, so he prescribed that and it's what I take now, either as preventative or when an attack comes on. But it is one to be careful with, as it can set up a dependency and keep the ears from retuning to normal. So I try to take less than what he prescribed. I'm finding lately that drinking a lot of water helps. I also find that one adult dose of pseudoephedrine help. And yes, it does seem to happen more in the spring and fall when there are more weather changes and allergens floating around. So I also take generic Zyrtec at this time of year, or other OTC allergy meds such as Allegra. In May, when the grass pollen hits, I get asthma and will probably need a steroid inhaler. I've heard or been told that Menieres is more of a syndrome than a disease, and whether I have it or not, I feel there are a lot of other factors involved, such as Wegs damage to my sinuses, ears, and lungs, combined with allergies. I think even good docs have a tough time pinning down any one specific cause for some of these things.

Hi Anne, I didn't PM you b/c i think we covered the vertigo issue! Did you read my thread on my visit to Univ of Penn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoswim View Post
    Hi Anne, I didn't PM you b/c i think we covered the vertigo issue! Did you read my thread on my visit to Univ of Penn?
    Yes, I did see that, it didn't sound like you got much out of it... Maybe there will be bloodwork results that will tell her more? Or you will have to get sicker to give her more clues? Will look again to see if I missed anything.

BTW, you asked me if I'd ever taken Dramamine for vertigo, and I answered you, which led to other things... I don't think either vertigo or Wegs are ever completely covered. So far, anyway. There are umpteen posts about vertigo in the archives.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have posts about vertigo I was experiencing in the archives. Eventually had an MRI and was diagnosed with Mastoiditis. The problem the ENT had is that he did not know if this was caused by Wegs or an infection so he treated me for both with antibiotics and increase in prednisone as well as as cortisone nasal rinses. it did the trick...no more vertigo.

Rose

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast