Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fatigue and Rituxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fatigue and Rituxan

I just finished my 4th Rituxan infusion. I am so fatigued and short of breath. Is this normal? I'm sure everyone is different but is there an average time of when I will feel better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're really struggling to breathe, call your doc ASAP.

My last infusion (1 gm) last fall went fine. I had a hard time getting to sleep the night of the infusion. That was probably due to the steroids and lack of activity that day. I was a little tired for about 36 hours, but it wasn't debilitating at all. I've never had SOB with rituximab.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete for responding. I just get short of breath when I try to do things. I get really exhausted. This is not usually me, although I was like this before I even started my 1st infusion. I really didn't have any side effects from the infusion. I'm not sure if the Rituxan takes time to actually work. Maybe I was hoping the Rituxan would be the miracle and Instant drug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rituximab takes several weeks to take full effect, so be patient.

I had a bit of lung damage when the disease hit. It took most of two years to heal. So, I was a bit short of breath upon exertion. I still get a little short of breath when I overdo -- especially in cold weather. That said, I lead a life that's very similar to my pre-wegs life.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that you need to ask your wg dr or pulmonary dr about your shortness of breath.
    Rtx might start to work only after 2-3 months. Fatigue might be wg related.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are correct Alysia. I wasn't sure if it was the Rituxan or the tapering of Prednisone causing fatigue and my Shortness of Breath is with exertion. I just read an article about Rituxan from the drug company. It says that it can take up to 8 wks from the 1st infusion to start feeling better. And it also goes along with what what you said Alysia. I had fatigue before the Rituxan and now after.

I wasn't sure what it was but I think its just the disease process. Its been 5 weeks, so hopefully I don't have much longer to to. I will let you all know in a few weeks. Thanks for this site and good information.

PS: My vision has also been affected. Not as clear as it was, or maybe I need new glasses!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much pred are you on now ? How fast did you reduced it ? It can sure also be the result of too fast pred taper.
    AND I just found this one today, so yes, rtx can cause a feeling of weakness:
    Will you have Asthenia with Rituxan? - eHealthMe
    Thanks to @crowneagle who posted it on facebook wg group.
    Just pay attention that there is no weggie in this research.
    Shortness of breath can also be related. I think that you need to see your pulmonary dr.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.