Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forteo & Pred induced Osteoporosis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Forteo & Pred induced Osteoporosis

I had osteoporosis before having to go on long term prednisone, but it had truly improved with a vigorous schedule of walking and taking calcium and D3. Unfortunately, my prednisone use has worsened the situation. My breathing issues have improved immensely and so I have started back with the walking, but my rheumatologist wants me to take meds for the osteoporosis. My PCP, who is the one who has been the most helpful throughout my illness, is dead set against bisphosphonates such as Fosamx. And because I have terribly weak teeth, both doctors think I should take Forteo. It is a daily injection that can be used only for two years.

Anyone have experience with it? Of course the "black box" warning indicates bone cancer as a possible side-effect. My PCP is very cautious, so I suspect she thinks the risk is small, but I need to talk more with her.

Please note that I am an "honorary weggie", meaning I was once diagnosed with WG but that has been ruled out. I have persistent asthma, chronic sinusitis and bronchiectasis.

Thanks!
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I knew what to think, Jacquie. I also had the beginnings of bone loss before high dose, long term pred. I took Fosamax for 5 years and am glad I stopped, but my bone density did get a little worse and a fractured my pelvis this year. Perhaps I could have done better with walking and weight bearing exercise, though I do take Calcium and D3. I wonder what the differences are between these treatments that would make Forteo or any of the other injectibles safer than Fosamax. I realize your physical activities such as walking are more limited because of your breathing issues, but I do know that you go to the gym, which I don't, so far. I plan to talk to my PCP about this next time I see him, which should be soon. So many things to ask about, I'd better start a list! Good luck making your decision.🍀

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, just re-read and see that your breathing issues have improved immensely. That's great! 😃

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is only that it is safer for my teeth. Fosamax can cause holes in the mouth for those with bad teeth. Make you wonder how it can possibly make bones better if it can cause holes in the jaw? Weird. Am onky starting my research. The doc told me the difference between how the two act. It made sense at the time, but it has escaped my mind. I am sure my research will help. Fosamax has actually been associated with serious and difficult to heal breaks, such as in the femur bone. Hence my PCP's oposition to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My teeth are not too bad except for a few problems with my not taking care of them, seeing the dentist enough. I was also concerned about the femur breaks. Once you said that Fosamax may build bone, but it is inferior bone. So I'm thinking Forteo is not a biophosphamate? I'll do some research, hopefully before seeing my PCP. And will be interested to hear what yours says.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a supplement my PCP has prescribed.
    Buy Online Ortho Molecular - Product Strontium 60 Capsules @17.91 by using coupon SAVE10%

It is NOT available on Amazon right now (unless you want to oay over $80 ��) and looking at other brands is too confusing. I bought this one for $20 at my doctor's office. She told me at this strength I should only take it once a week, not once or twice a week as the label says. It has something like 925 mg of strontium citrate, plus a smaller amount of another strontium combo. You can't see the dosage on this website, but I could see it on my bottle and on the manufacturers site, so I know they are the same. So it is pretty cheap. Around $20 for 60 pills which will last 60 weeks.

MY doctor says it is important not to take the pill with calcium. I will likely take it in the morning, and take my calcium at dinner and bedtime, leaving a nice long gap between them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this instead of the Forteo, or just a possible supplement to it? Strontium is used in ceramic glazes...So is calcium.

Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry. It would be in addition to Forteo. OR if I decide I don't want to take Forteo or any of the others, at least it would be something else I could do aside from the calcium and d3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have osteoporosis and I talked to my rheumy and pharmacist about taking something. I had seen commercials about forteo but haven't seen them in awhile..makes you wonder. I, myself am against anything I need to inject simply for the reason if I were to have a reaction to it, plus I hate needles ! But the things they mentioned were good for a year so it must have been a lot more potent. Gotta love this pred !! My pcp wants me to take crestor for my high clorestoral (sp?) but by cardio is totally against that. And these are the "golden years " !!!! You'll just find me slumped over,toothless dying from a heart attack.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Israel no dr ever suggested me any of those meds. Never heard of them. Eventhough I am on pred since 2008 and already have osteopenia. What all docs here suggest is calcium 600mg plus vitamin D. Even an endocrinologist dr that I saw few months ago, only said to double the calcium. Nothing else.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast