Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cindy at Iditarod

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cindy at Iditarod

I saw AlaskaTom the other day. Also, Cindy. She was at the table next to ours at the Iditarod Musher's dinner. And, I got a picture of her heading out into the great white north for a couple weeks of dog sledding 900 miles from Fairbanks to Nome in -40 weather. You can follow her progress here:
    Iditarod - Last Great Race on Earth®

17Mar_Alaska Tom_05.jpg

17Mar_Musher Dinner_01.jpg

17Mar_Musher Dinner_07.jpg

17Mar_Iditarod Start_08.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice hat Vdub! I have one almost as silly looking. Say what you will, but there is nothing like a fur hat once the temps get to single digits and below.

Cindy, we are all cheering for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vdub, are you in Alaska?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cindy, I was in Alaska. We came home last night. We went to Anchorage to visit my daughter and her husband and to see the Iditarod.

Tom, those hats are wonderful and so super warm. Not much opportunity to wear them in the lower 48, though. Once I wore mine while skiing and all the teenagers thought it was real rad. I'm not sure if that means far out or what. :-)

Cindy started the race as #31 (her bib number). She has since dropped to 60th place, but its a long, long race.
    Current Race Standings - 2017 Iditarod - Iditarod

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it vdub.
    I remember when you suggested to Cindy that she do it after her climbing conquests, and she took the suggestion and mushed with it.
    All you all are amazing (like my attempt at American?)

Peace!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Love it vdub.
    I remember when you suggested to Cindy that she do it after her climbing conquests, and she took the suggestion and mushed with it.
    All you all are amazing (like my attempt at American?)

Peace!
    I miss you, marta..
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cindy is probably going to earn her second red lantern for finishing in last place. Hope she and her dogs are ok.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finishing this thing in last place is still an amazing win... Hang in there Cindy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom is right! Just finishing the Iditarod by anyone is quite amazing. You can't even begin to imagine what it might be like until you've stood out in -40 weather with a 40 mph wind and you know you have to be in that weather for 5 or 6 days minimum. Then, put on top of that, knowing that you are miles and miles from anyone, its pitch black or, even worse, the snow is falling horizontally and you can't see your hand, let alone the trail, and then you hear the howl of a couple wolf packs or maybe the sharp crack of ice breaking as you're crossing a river. Good times!

It is such a stringent race that I almost wish she wasn't carrying the vasc flag, because if she has wegs and can complete the iditarod, then why can't I even walk to my mailbox. Doesn't seem quite fair does it?

I think most of you know that I'm on my way to Mayo. We stopped at Spearfish tonight and all the motel had for a room was one on the 2nd floor. It was tough getting to the 2nd floor. Iditarod? Not more me... I couldn't even complete the 5 mile ceremonial start in Anchorage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She certainly is a superwoman and I do mention her courage to many people.
    Never say Never

Vdub, I hope you have a safe trip to Mayo and I hope you get some more answers.
    You ae certainly superman, with all the you have to deal with. You continue to push through it.

Take care and .........
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast