Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sinus wg

Hi Weggies!

Im currently being treated with Methotextrate, predisone, folic acid, birth control

My inflammation is being controlled and doing great but my bacteria in my nose isn't. This is a vicious cycle I know but is anyone else being treated with something different for the bacteria in there nose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what you mean by bacteria. You have a persistent or recurring bacterial infection in your nasal passages?

I'm not sure if Bactrim specifically treats sinus/nasal infections, but it is commonly prescribed to GPA patients as a preventive antibiotic. There is also a topical antibiotic ointment called Bactroban which can be swabbed into your nostrils and/or dissolved in a nasal rinse. (If you are not doing nasal rinses on a routine basis, you might want to consult your doc about it.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi yes i have an overgrowth of bacteria. My understanding when you have wagerers in your nose is comes with bacteria. I've been on bactrim many times and it barely helps and seems to not be able to get rid of it. I have also used the ointment but the overgrowth of bacteria is mainly in my cheek sinus which you can't really get into by yourself. as for a nasal rinse I am not really able to do that because when I do a rinse it drains me and doesn't make me feel good AT ALL and I need to function during the day. anything else you've heard of?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bactroban sinus rinses can be used for severe nasal or sinus infections. I have had it prescribed once but it was very costly to make up the rinse for me so be sure your insurance will cover it first. It is made from Mupirocin and had to be kept frozen till use. Some times doctors will suggest other additives that also have some germ fighting ability. I have used peroxide and baby shampoo as additives to my sinus sinus rinse for serious persistent infections. Others have used a mild tincture of iodine. The shampoo seems to also help loosen tough crusts. Your ENT may suggest other additives but any such additive should be checked out with your ENT to be sure it is right thing for you. Some times they have to culture it to find out what will be most effective to treat an infection.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your rinse sounds interesting! i really need to try rinses again i just really need to function during the day and those rinses make me feel miserable for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bactroban I have comes in a tube and is not expensive at all, at least with insurance, but I think the full retail was not shocking either. I was instructed by my ENT to simply squeeze it into my rinse bottle and dissolve it as best I can by shaking it with the water/saline solution.

Lauren, it's not clear from what you've said that a doctor has told you that you have an infection, or what you mean by an overgrowth of bacteria. In any case I hope they get it figured out and you get some relief soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do you use the rinse if you don't have bacteria in your nose? Im confused why everyone isn't going through this ha. my last culture test for the bacteria in my nose taken in november:
    Gram Stain Result Rare polymorphonucleated white blood cells
    Rare red blood cells
    Rare Gram positive cocci
    (Performed at C.A.L.M.)

Body Site Culture Staphylococcus aureus
    Heavy
    Identification performed by Mass Spectrometry( Maldi-ToF).
    but they described it to me as an overgrowth of this bacteria because of my inflammation.

Bing505z is offline Banned for being a douchebag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Bactroban sinus rinses can be used for severe nasal or sinus infections. I have had it prescribed once but it was very costly to make up the rinse for me so be sure your insurance will cover it first. It is made from Mupirocin and had to be kept frozen till use. Some times doctors will suggest other additives that also have some germ fighting ability. I have used peroxide and baby shampoo as additives to my sinus sinus rinse for serious persistent infections. Others have used a mild tincture of iodine. The shampoo seems to also help loosen tough crusts. Your ENT may suggest other additives but any such additive should be checked out with your ENT to be sure it is right thing for you. Some times they have to culture it to find out what will be most effective to treat an infection.

Sinus rinse is a must…daily…weekly… also Bactroban is a must also…My ENT had me use Mupirocin, google it …

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my main confusion in all this is way the bacteria in my nose grows so quickly. i get debridements (a doctor cleans out my sinuses) pretty frequently i get them done even 2 weeks! but I've noticed that after i get a debridement done my nose will fill up (in my cheek) within hours! like its almost an everyday thing that i have to clean out my nose (with tweezers)! I've been on multiple antibiotics and it helps but doesn't help enough. and although everyone is saying rinse its not really helping in my case. for example say i get a debridement my nose is completely clear and i start rinsing to keep it clean. as soon as i stop rinsing or go to sleep and wake up the next morning my sinuses are filled again. its very frustrating. I've never tried shampoo or anything so i will bring that up the next time i go to the doctors maybe that will help break it up. but the other thing is that i need to be functioning during the day and when i do a rinse it drains me and i don't feel good the rest of the day i don't understand it or why that is. but i recently just looked up a nebulizer which might be better? since I'm sniffing it in rather than having solution pour through my sinuses? i have no clue ugh. but thank you guys for responding! I'm going to bring up all this with the doctors when i go. i need to switch doctors but I'm military and tricare has not been making it easy for me. so i was trying to wait til i move in september.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lauren!

My ENT has been pretty progressive with my disease and helping me. Here's what we've tried over the past 6 years:

-- NeilMed Sinus rinse bottles (wore out about a dozen)
    -- Graduated to a waterpik and/or sinupulse machine and have had great results- it is actually more mild than the squeeze bottles
    -- Each time I have an infection, he sends it out to culture to see what antibiotic works. No sense treating with antibiotics that will not work, right?
    -- We've used gentamyacin rinse (commonly referred to as Wilsons Solution
    -- We've used bactroban solution (bactroban ointment dissolved in sterile saline)
    -- Doxyxycline oral antibiotic
    -- Budesonide nebulizer solution in nasal rinse
    -- Working with my ENT, he showed me how to take the tip off of one of the waterpik nasal wands and work it up into my nose to get the rinse directly on the crusts.
    -- Working with my ENT, I started holding saline and antibiotic risnses into my sinuses and nose for a minute or two to coat the areas with the topical a little longer.

By far, the two things that I would recommend is to have the culture done each time you have an infection, to make sure that you get the proper treatment each time.

Rinse, rinse, rinse, RINSE! Nasal rinsing has been the single best thing I have done to conquer this stupid disease in my sinuses. At one point, I was running 6-9 liters of saline through my nose a day (3 liters each at morning, noon and night).

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I will be glad to answer any you may have.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast