Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Odd Test Result

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Odd Test Result

I had a stesss echocardiogram on Thursday. Essentially, it was, as my PCP described it, "equivocal".

The ultrasounds showed no anomalies. There was no evidence of ischemia. I did have a "hypertensive" response to exercise. At one point, my pulse was around 160. But my blood pressure was recorded as 214/40. I expected to be a bit hypertensive under exercise. After all, I hadn't taken my BP meds for two days.

I feel fine and have no cardiac symptoms. I'm seeing a cardiologist in April to decide what's next. My question for the cardiologist is about that BP reading. Is it even possible to have a BP of 214/40? Or is this a data entry error? The nurse who was conducting the stress test was trying to run an ECG machine, operate the treadmill, and type info into the computer. It would make more sense if the BP was 214/140.

I don't think there's any reason for alarm. I'm just bemused...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bemused is good, operator error most likely...keep that heart tickin'!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the 40 was a mistake. My bp drops down during rtx IV. No way you could have done those exercises with such low bp. It makes one feel like almost fainting.
    On the other side of it, keep checking the bp to make sure its not too high. Keep an eye on your kidneys.
    Home device for checking bp is a nice thing. My father has one and he is checking his bp 3 times a day and eating lots of parsley to make his bp lower.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think the 40 was a mistake. I'll let the cardiologist sort it out.

I do have a home BP cuff. When I'm on BP meds, my BP is normal.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why aren't you taking your bp pills reguirly ( sp ? ) Sorry forgot how to spell !! Even 214 is high but I think if the other # was 40 you would be almost dead. Take care and don't over due it with your swimming
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    Why aren't you taking your bp pills reguirly ( sp ? ) Sorry forgot how to spell !! Even 214 is high but I think if the other # was 40 you would be almost dead. Take care and don't over due it with your swimming
    Glad you're still alive with those numbers!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was off my BP meds for only two days for the test. Back on it now, and BP is normal.

The last time I had a bottom number of 40, the top was only 60, and yes, I was in rough shape then.

Plan to be back in the pool tomorrow...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that had to be a mistake, you are to healthy to have a reading like that. It sure does make you wonder why they wouldn't be calling you if that reading was correct. Keep up the swimming and take care of yourself.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a follow-up with a different cardiologist at OSU today. The BP reading of 214/40 was not an error, nor was it surprising to him. He looked at the images from my echocardiogram and the ECG. He saw nothing that concerned him. He did agree that the report was "hastily" prepared. On OSU's software, there is a template that writes a "normal" report. The doctor is supposed to type any abnormal findings over the the template text. The reporting doc did it right in one spot and wrong in another leading to what my PCP deemed an "equivocal" report.

I spent most of an hour talking to this cardiologist, and I think he's a keeper. His name is Gbemiga ("GG") Sofowora. He currently works at OSU's offices at Stoneridge in Dublin and at Lewis Center near Delaware.

I headed for the pool after this appointment and had a good swim. All is well!
    Pete
    dx 1/11