Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thyroid issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thyroid issues

Does anyone know about tapering prednisone and finishing a Rituxan treatment I tested my thyroid and my TSH was elevated to 5.3 normal being 4.7. Has anyone heard of Rituxan or prednisone causing elevated TSH. T4 and T3 were normal. Please help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on thyroid medication- synthyroid for many years and the rituximab and prednisone have not caused any change for me. So it did not have any adverse effect in my case

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually they have a range for TSH. What is the high end of the range? If ftee t4 and t3 are ok, then probably nothing to worry about, but certainly ask a doctor. I don't have a pituitary, so my TSH is always 0. Instead, I rely on my free t4 reading exclusively... well, that and how well I feel. if you're too high or too low, you generally feel pretty crappy. As always, see what your doc says.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't commit on the prednisone or RTX affecting your thyroid. At the lab I use the TSH range is .27-4.2, so your 5.3 is a little high but I wouldn't get too worked up over it yet. Myself and I am sure many others have labs that get out of the "normal" range for whatever reason and then return to normal range on there own. I would be sure to have your doctor follow up on the lab results but I wouldn't worry myself much over the result being a little over the reference range.
    Dx'd December 2000