Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Streptococcus viridan UTI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Streptococcus viridan UTI

I had a urine culture come back this week with Streptococcus sanquis (viridan strep) in it. I am wondering if anyone has had this before? I read that only certain antibiotics will kill this bacteria. I have had another infection a few years back and was lucky to caught it early enough. I think that I have had this for a couple months and did take the days of antibiotic back in December for it. They had not done a culture back then, just went by symptoms. This time they had ran the culture on 1/22 and just got around to posting it on my chart. Now I know why I feel like crap and can't seem to get enough energy to get up and go anywhere.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jana, here's hoping a course of antibiotics gets this cleaned up quickly!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jana

i think you should have a repeat culture done 3 or 4 days after you finish your antibiotics to make sure you have completely killed off all the offending bacteria. I have suffered from recurrent urine nfection for years and no sooner than I finish an antibiotic the infection is back. Also the causative bacteria seems to change........in August last year it was ecoli and 2 rounds of antibiotics later and a return of severe symptoms, another culture showed Proteus Mirabales in October.. The antibiotics sensitive to that worked Initially but a week later another nfection. This time symptoms not as severe so been treating it with high dose Vit C.

I obviously have been colonized And have antibiotic resistant infections. I am pretty sure this has happened because in the early days I was given a broad spectrum antibiotics without cultures and no follow up cultures were done. I also believe Cellcept makes me more prone to U T I' s ....other immunosuppressants not as much. If the infections get really bad I resort to antibiotics but as sure as day follows night, I know an infection will be back.

Just been to another consultation with a Urologist.....he doesn't know what to do with me lol. Think I may try accupuncture which is the only thing g I hven't tried.

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your response Rose. I will have them do a culture after this round of antibiotics. I had just had an infusion in early Dec and it seems that I always get an infection after one. I also ran into an article online about strep hiding out in your body. I had a lot of strep throat infections as a child and kind of wonder if it doesn't just stay in your system forever.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also tend to get UTI right after the rtx iv.
    Jana & Rose, I also had many UTI's one after the other. The dr. Put me on lower doze antibiotics for maintenance for 2-3 months after the infection and it stopped the endless infections. I still can get one every couple of months but not one after the other, and can get rid of it by one session of antibiotics. Please consider that our session of antibiotics should be longer then usuall because we are immune compromised. It means not less then 7 days. Better 10 or 14 days.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.