Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with Meds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Traveling with Meds

I am going out of town next week, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with bringing their meds when traveling out of the country. I am going with a few friends from work, and they don't know about wegs and all of the meds I'm on. I always fill my pill box and throw it in my carry on with no problem, but I don't know how strict they are when traveling to another country. From what I remember when going to England, they just checked my passport when I arrived and I went through customs when coming back to the U.S. No one searched my bag or questioned my meds, but I brought the bottles because I was there for a month. Would I be fine bringing my pill box, or do I need to bring all of my prescriptions in the bottles from the pharmacy? I trust the girls if they did find out, but I'd rather not have to bring all of my bottles.
    Nothing can break you; you are much stronger than you think... look at what you've already survived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was overseas for 24 days earlier this year. I had copies of my prescriptions from the pharmacy and carried all my med bottles (Rx and OTC). Went into Europe at Paris deGaulle, went through Heathrow, and came back into US via Newark. Nobody ever checked anything.

Merry Christmas and safe travels. GO BUCKS!!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it really is important to carry them in the original packaging, and to have your prescriptions with you. I don't really know what the laws are, but I would hate for them to take your bag away for inspection and the pill box break or come open and they all fall out, for example.
    You also are best to take a letter from your doctor, stating your medical condition, and what meds you take.

The above is really to avoid any hassles, however, I have travelled quite a bit, and have never been asked about them - yet
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been all over the world since getting wegs and never had a problem with drugs or syringes. I hardly ever have the original packaging, even for the narcotics. I do have a list of drugs printed from the pharmacy and I carry a letter from my doctor that lists the drugs I take, but those have never been checked.

Normally, I travel by filling a bunch of one-week pill minders with the proper drugs and only travel with those. I don't take my original containers. I will take about 20% more than I expect to need. For instance, the last time I went to the UK, I took 12 weeks worth of pill minders, even though I was pretty sure we would only stay in England for 8 weeks. Plus, I had a handful extra of some drugs that sometimes need to be increased.

If you go the "pill minder" route, be very methodical when filling them. If you leave home without one of your drugs, it could be bad.

And, last, but not least, never, ever put your drugs in your checked baggage. Split your drugs with some in your purse or computer bag and the remainder in your carry-on. I've never had a problem and never been questioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys! I think I'll try to see if I can just fill 2 pill boxes, so I'll have 3 extra days in case I drop a pill or something happens. Good idea to print a list of all my prescriptions and carry that with me. I always pack them in my carry on bag, it's not worth risking losing my bag and all my meds with it.

And yes, Go Bucks!! I know my friends will want to go out New Year's Eve, so I probably won't get to watch that game. Can't wait to get away from the cold for a little bit!
    Nothing can break you; you are much stronger than you think... look at what you've already survived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rebekah View Post
    Thanks, guys! I think I'll try to see if I can just fill 2 pill boxes, so I'll have 3 extra days in case I drop a pill or something happens. Good idea to print a list of all my prescriptions and carry that with me. I always pack them in my carry on bag, it's not worth risking losing my bag and all my meds with it.

And yes, Go Bucks!! I know my friends will want to go out New Year's Eve, so I probably won't get to watch that game. Can't wait to get away from the cold for a little bit!
    I would carry an extra week of meds and try to not keep them all in one location just in case.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you going Rebekah ? Wishing you safe travels and have a great holiday
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security suggested I bring the pill bottles in a clear plastic bag. They saw them but never checked anything.
    Best wishes,
    Tom
    ----------------------------------
    2 years untreated. Dx w/ biopsy - 2000
    Tx Plan:

NUTRITION
    RESTORATIVE SLEEP
    RAISE ANABOLISM
    REDUCE ALL INT / EXT STRESSORS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We go to Mexico each year for 3+ weeks and I just take my daily pill minders with a few extra days worth. Never been a problem for 9 yrs. I used to carry a typed list, I gave up on it since nobody asked about the pharmacy I was carrying. Hawaii the same thing. BUT ... That all could change in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about to give up on my list, too, darl. No one has ever asked, even about the narcotics. But, just as soon as I give up on the list, someone from the TSA is going to go ape over a half dozen hydrocodone and I'll be typing this from a nice warm jail cell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast