Thread: Conductive autonomic nerve damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Conductive autonomic nerve damage

I'm not a doctor, but....

I think we all know that wegs affects our lungs and sinuses and I've heard of problems with neuroprathy of sensory nerves causing tingling, numbness, etc, but I haven't heard much about wegs affecting the autonomic nerves like breathing. I'm not sure I'm an example of such a thing, but since getting wegs I've had otherwise unexplained damage to my phrenic nerve which paralyzed my right diaphragm and now I have damage to my heart nerves and I'm getting a pacemaker in about 4 hrs.

Two doctors have said they suspect wegs has played a part in both conditions. Others have said no way. Anyway, I thought I'd put this out there and others can comment with their own experiences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you Google "Wegener's phrenic nerve", there are results suggesting that this does happen.

Sorry you are having such a rough ride lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always say if something was gonna happen it was gonna happen to me , but you got me beat vdub. I am sorry you are having more problems. Was this something you have had for awhile or did you just find out since you are having these done in 4 hours ? Since this disease does constrict the blood flow is that was is going on ? I will have to google it ( I should have before I posted ) Anyway I will keep you in my prayers and hope the pacemaker solves the problem. Please keep us posted
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have damage to my central nervous system. My cerebellum. But since MRI does not show vascular damage my Rhuemy is reluctant to attribute it to wg.
    I hope the procedure goes smoothly and you recover quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be darned, Tom! I hadn't googled something quite that simply -- outstanding find! I have been trying to blame my phrenic nerve issue on an old surfing accident. I don't want to automatically blame everything on wegs and, besides, "surfing accident" sounds so cool... But, I'm beginning to think both these issues are wegs related. I really did like to say "surfing accident", too, it was so macho.... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sending lots of wishes vdub, for a pain free procedure.
    I hope it gets things sorted.

I'm also sending you this extra bit of love, for future use

Bubble_Wrap.jpg
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the bubble wrap will come in handy, Michelle! :-)

I'll be getting out of hospital in a couple hours and heading home with my new pacemaker. I hope it gives some good results. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'd go with the surfing accident - makes a much better story! Hope you're home and resting comfortably over the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad you got your pacemaker, vdub.

The article that I attached in the other thread is a good one. I saw that one cant read it trough the link so I will try to copy it. See if it works for me... going to be a long one....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This portion deleted [VW] -- This was a real tough call, Alysia. There might have been a copyright issue with the cut and paste, so I deleted it. I can't imagine a site coming after us, but you just never know. Thanks, vw
    Last edited by vdub; 12-21-2016 at 02:18 PM.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how many Weg experts know much about peripheral neuropathy and its affects upon our nervous system. My Mayo expert did indicate a MRI would be next step for assessment if my symptoms get worse.

Added comments from another post [VW] -- yes,it can happen I have been assessed for this since I am considered at high risk due to having both diabetes and Weg.

: High blood glucose levels over a period of years may cause a condition called autonomic neuropathy. This is damage to the nerves that control the regulation of involuntary function. Examples are body functions such as blood pressure, heart rate, digestion, sexual activity and perspiration.

Definition

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Autonomic neuropathy occurs when the nerves that control involuntary bodily functions are damaged. This may affect blood pressure, temperature control, digestion, bladder function and even sexual function.
    The nerve damage interferes with the messages sent between the brain and other organs and areas of the autonomic nervous system, such as the heart, blood vessels and sweat glands.

While diabetes is generally the most common cause of autonomic neuropathy, other health conditions — even an infection — may be to blame. Some medications also may cause nerve damage. Symptoms and treatment will vary based on which nerves are damaged.
    Last edited by drz; 12-24-2016 at 03:07 PM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast