Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Imuran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Imuran

I'll be starting Imuran on January 1st. I was wondering if anyone in our group has ever been on Imuran for suppressing their immune system? If you have can you tell me if it put you in remission. Thank you in advance!💖

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dorothea

I believe it works very well for some and no doubt you will hear from them. As for me, I could not tolerate it. Some people cant but there is a blood test that you can have done to see if you are deficient in the enzyme TMPT (needed to metabolize the Imuran) before commencing treatment I was never tested but I had such a severe reaction to the drug that I am pretty sure that I was deficient in the enzyme. Good luck with your treatment.

Rose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, like Rose, did not have the TMPT test before starting Immuran. It was a disaster for me. Make sure you are tested before starting on it.

There are quite a few folks on this forum who take Immuran.

Good luck on your new treatment regimen.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Azathioprine or generic Imuran is usually given for maintenance after one achieves a drug induced remission. Not everyone can metabolize the drug hence the test is advised before beginning it but I started with a minimum dosage while results were pending. Also a good way to find out if it it is safe for you. Many people take it for many years. It is best to start with a minimum dosage and slowly increase it to avoid or minimize problems with side effects. Most people can handle it OK but not everyone can.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on Imuran for more that 6 years. It was so good for me that they backed off from 75 mg to 50. All my labs were stable for several years. I was assigned to a new rheumatologist who decided that I no longer had a need for it. Once he took me off of it, all of my labs went out of line. The other doctors on my team voted for my return ti Imuran and I changed rheumatologist and was immediately put back on it. It took about 6 months for things to level off. It sure works for me .. but I am sure as you find on this forum that every one does not tolerate it like I have. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much to all of you!!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk