Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vit. B-12 toxicity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vit. B-12 toxicity

Awhile back ago I went to an obgyn because my hormones are low. She told be to take all sorts of supplements.........well you all know me and pills. I checked with my pharmy and told me not to take some of them ,then when I went to Cleveland I asked my rheumy and said not to take any of them except these pills that are a compound of different B vits. The generic name for them is Fabb. Well I took them for about 3 weeks and then I started feeling ill. I went and had my blood work tested for the vits. and I was 3 times over the limit on B-12. I went to my pcp with bad stomach cramps,pain in my back ( by my kidneys ) a horrible headache,sweating and I almost past out while driving there and in his office. He did not address my concerns at all but since I was scared and upset he suggested I go see a psychiatrist !!!!!!!!!! So I left there pissed and went to the er. Where they did nothing. The next day I felt even worse so I had my brother take me back to the er, where I had the pleasure dealing with a dr. that I yelled at before saying drs. like him are why this hosp has a 1 star rating. When I saw him I wanted to crawl under the bed, but I stood my ground as he continued to yell at me saying this is an er and I did not need to be there. Well after I told him to stop yelling and he had better lower his voice I said I had a disease that I'm sure he knew nothing about and I could be very sick and want cked out. So they did blood work (after blowing out 2 veins, a ct scan, and an x-ray and he said I was fine but released me un unspecified dizziness. I asked him about the B-12 and he said since is water soluable I am fine. I called my kidney dr who is also a wg expert and he told me to come to his office first thing the next day. Guess what.....to much B-12 in my system !!!!!!!!!!! I have to drink a lot of water and stay away from foods that contain B-12. meats and dairy and it should be out of my system in about a week. I am starting too feel a little better but still headache and dizzy and also my chest is hurting. I am going for an echo next Fri for that. Just needed to vent and to tell everyone to be VERY careful about taking ANY supplements. I can't wait till next month when both my mother and I go back to the pcp..we are going to have some words. He thinks I was nuts before,he hasn't seen anything and then I am finding another dr.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear this news, Deb. Why are you waiting to find another doc?
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my mother who is almost 90 sees him also so we generally go at the same time. She has to wear a fentanyl patch and takes Norco for pain. And since she is so bad she is able to go every other month ,where a lot of drs. want her in every month because of the patch otherwise we would not go back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, you did a wonderful job, and thank goodness someone finally listened to you.

Also thank you for making everyone on here aware of the pitfalls of some vitamins.

I also cannot take multi vitamins (or something within them) because they increase my LFT's. My liver doesn't like them

I'm glad you are starting to feel better now
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mish...I have just gotten to the point that I am sooo sick of ignorant drs. And it seems they have all gathered in the city I live in ! If they don't know what this disease is google it . I didn't mention when I was in the hosp. I called my dr at CC but she was not on call so another dr talked to me and told me to have them put me in an ambulance to Cleveland and they would admit me but $$$$..couldn't do it. so I gave the er dr my phone and they talked for awhile and she must of enlightened him.
    I even looked up B-12 and it says you can't overdue do it because your body secrets what it doesn't need so I don't know if it was that or something in the compound but it didn't get out of my body. I am starting to feel better but still bouncing of walls so I'm afraid to drive anywhere right now.
    I remember you saying you can't do vits either. So I just want everyone to be careful...you think you are taking something good and you're not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb,
    I'm so sorry you are going thru get another battle, it just seems to never end for some of us.
    You think you are doing something good for yourself and bom, it back fires. I know you are under so much stress and most of it can't be resolved with having the care of your Mom. Please take care of yourself also. When do you go back to CC?
    I have another friend that has Lupus and she can't take a lot of things that others can tolerate. Please find you another PVP as soon as you can, I know that is easier said than done, does your PVP ever confer with your Doc at CC?
    I wish you all the best with finding out what is going on. Take care!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank goodness you listened to your body and found someone who would listen. How much b12 were you taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you have being through all these, Deb. Thanks God you were able to find out that it was caused by the vitamin B. For me multi vitamins are causing diarrhea. I think that Zinc too, so I stopped taking it. In general, I cant trust anymore all those vitamins and supplements.

Thanks for sharing the info with us. Nice to have you around ♡
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just needed to vent and to tell everyone to be VERY careful about taking ANY supplements.
    I simply don't understand people who want to load up on supplements and things that are unproven and have very little credible research to back their claims. Just doesn't make sense.