Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I start treatment for WG on Wednesday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I start treatment for WG on Wednesday

It took about 3 months to get a diagnosis, mainly because I also have Cystic Fibrosis and that was causing some confusion with certain test results. I've been on 5-15 mg of prenisone daily for the last 2 months and next Wednesday I get my first infusion of Rituxan. I'm hoping to get some quick results because my symptoms (especially pain) have really kicked up over the last 10 days. I'm a little nervous about the infusion and any possible side effects from it. Does anyone have any advice for someone who is just starting out with treatments?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi JJ,

Welcome to the "club". Hope you get the help you need from us. There are a lot of experienced weggies on here.

In most cases, the rtx infusion is a non-event. The most common side effect is fatigue for 24-72 hours. Some folks have an allergic reaction and they need extra antihistamine or steroids, and the rtx flow rate will be much slower. On average, the infusion will last around four hours - maybe more.

Rtx usually takes a few weeks for the main effect to fully kick in. It took about six weeks for my labs to improve.

Your pred dosage seems a bit low. At disease onset, I was on 60 mg/day. It takes awhile to get off pred. You can do a forum search for "prednisone taper" to read others' experiences.

Good luck and keep us informed about your progress.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete! I'm not 100% sure why I'm on a low dosage of prednisone but I assume it's because of my CF. Since CF causes constant lung infections, my docs are concerned about the immunosuppression. Maybe they're trying to limit the amount of immunosuppresants as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, JJ. I'm glad you found us. I would agree with Pete that your prednisone dosage is too low. Most of us start with from 40-60mg. per day and then taper down gradually. I haven't had RTX, but would encourage you to relax and just go with it, as many have found it to be the best thing for them. As I hear, the first infusion may be more of an "event" as they will go slow and monitor you for reactions, etc. After that, it should get easier. Best of luck.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could take Bactrim, an antibiotic, as many of us do as a prophylactic against lung infections. But then, I know nothing about CF. Having both diseases would certainly complicate things, I'm sure.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm going to start Bactrim when I start getting the Rituxan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi JJ - I was just dx 3 months ago and found this site to be very helpful! I'm glad you found us. I agree with everything Pete and Anne said above. (Regarding pred dosage, ritux and bactrim.) be ready for a long day for your first infusion. Maybe 6 hrs. My 2nd one was 4 hrs. Going for my 3rd in Dec.
    wishing you the best!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Gab! Have you started feeling better since you started the Rituxan? If so, how long did it take for you to notice a difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JJ, my primary symptom was ear pain and drainage. I was started on 60 mg prednisone and a week later I had my first ritux infusion. I think my ear pain responded very quickly to the high prednisone- I think within a week. I had granulomas in my lungs and I was coughing a lot for a month I think. My coughing and chest tightness really was only taking off about the time of my diagnosis. Cough got worse before it got better. I think coughing was minimal within 3-4 weeks of ritux. My granulomas were almost completely gone within 2 months of first ritux.

Dx was 8/1/16 and so now 3.5 months later I am doing well. I feel weird sensations in my ears and sinuses still but my lab work is good and I'm told I don't have gpa in my nose. Maybe it's a side effect of prednisone (there are many).
    I am tapering pred and am at 20 mg as of yesterday. I was on 60 for 6 weeks. Then 40 for 4 weeks. I've gained 25 lbs since my dx. . but im very grateful for modern medicine and not having pain.

let me know if you have any other questions.
    Gab
    pS. Are you working with a rheumatologist? One who has many weg patients?
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm working with a rheumatologist at Vanderbilt. He's a fellow but I also see his boss and he has consulted with a group of 20 other rheumatologists in his office about my case. My worst symptom is the pain in my joints, which has gotten much worse over the last week. I'm taking a combination of tylenol, Mobic, and Tramadol for it. Staying active seems to help ease the pain a bit. I'm just ready to get my treatments started so I can hopefully get some relief soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast