Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Allergies?

Has anyone gotten, or seemed to have gotten, any allergies since they've gotten WG?

With my recent respiratory problems, I've noticed that certain things -ie. possibly milk, coffee, energy drinks, candy - make my throat produce more mucus. As a result, I've been thinking that WG may be the cause of new allergies that I've never before had in my life.
    I'm interested if any one else has had a similar experience, plus of you have done any allergy testing after diagnosed with WG, and what the results were.
    Just call me "B".
    ---
    "How's it going?"
    "Like crap."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was diagnosed, I had a lot of sinus and ear issues. My doctor suggested I take loratidiene and Phenylephrine to keep things dry. Both of these are non-prescription meds. I have taken a 10 mg loratidiene and two 10 mg Phenylephrine tabs daily since diagnosis. I never had any food allergies, and my seasonal hay fever is a thing of the past.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I was allergic to before WG was strawberries.
    Now I am allergic to many fruits, vegetables, all nightshades and any foods that have added citrus or citric acid.
    All of theses foods don't affect my throat, but they do cause painful red hot joints, and red eyes.

I have not required any allergy tests, it was just a case of try it and see. After I while, I got to recognize which foods hurt, and which didn't. Once I avoided these foods, the pains have been minimal, except if I eat out at a restaurant or at family or friends homes, because I do not know how they prepare the food.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B_in_Florida View Post
    Has anyone gotten, or seemed to have gotten, any allergies since they've gotten WG?With my recent respiratory problems, I've noticed that certain things -ie. possibly milk, coffee, energy drinks, candy - make my throat produce more mucus. As a result, I've been thinking that WG may be the cause of new allergies that I've never before had in my life. I'm interested if any one else has had a similar experience, plus of you have done any allergy testing after diagnosed with WG, and what the results were.
    For me, DAIRY--more specifically, milk, ice cream, sour cream, yogurt, all things high in lactose. I've had to switch to a lactose free diet. Sucks a lot of the time, but there are a few good things I've been able to substitute to get my fix. Cheese, in moderation, is OK--so far.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have struggled off and on with allergies, mainly pollens, dusts, and molds. The drugs we take for WG may help these some since they suppress the immune system, which allergies are involved with. But I think we can still have them, and OTC meds like Pete mentioned are a good start. I haven't been aware of food allergies, and have been told the usual testing for them is the try and see method. I did get tested for celiac disease recently, and it was negative; that is the one where you can't eat gluten. I have notice some things, though, about how certain foods affect my WG symptoms. Sugar, not really a "food", is a big one. If I eat too much of it I will feel my symptoms increase within a couple of hours. The other big one is starchy carbs, such as bread. Probably potatoes, too, but I don't eat as much of them as I do bread... when I get busy, I eat lots of sandwiches, toast, and flour tortillas, when busy and not wanting to take the time to cook a nutritious meal. Not buying bread or only buying less tasty varieties is a solution. I was buying gluten-free bread for awhile, and thought it was helping, even though I have since been found not to be gluten intolerant. But too many carbs are not good for anyone, can lead to diabetes, just like sugar, and we as Weggies when on prednisone do have to be more careful about blood sugar. Just what comes off the top of my head.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really interesting that a few of you came up with new allergies after getting wegs. Do you think it is coincidental, i.e., you would have gotten the allergy whether you had wegs or not, or do you think wegs caused the allergy in some way? Have any of you discussed it with your doctor? I'd sure be interested to get a doctor's opinion on it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    That's really interesting that a few of you came up with new allergies after getting wegs. Do you think it is coincidental, i.e., you would have gotten the allergy whether you had wegs or not, or do you think wegs caused the allergy in some way? Have any of you discussed it with your doctor? I'd sure be interested to get a doctor's opinion on it....
    With me the real allergies were mostly pre-wegs, and it was mostly asthma, and intensified by stress, just like Wegs symptoms are. When I first had Wegs but wasn't dxed, they sure thought all my sinus and ear issues were due to allergies. I even got positive test results for pollens, molds, and such, and got allergy shots for over a year, which seemed to help eventually! So I guess I did have both, but I'd never had those same allergy symptoms much before, the really Wegs-like ones. Weird. I wish there would be some research on this... I feel like I wouldn't have had the allergies that bad without the Wegs.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    My doctor seems to think my dairy allergy has something to do with the wegs. My digestive system in general hasn't been the same since I started having symptoms of the wegs so many years ago.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"