Thread: Facial neuropathy or prednisone side effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Facial neuropathy or prednisone side effects

Hi Weg fam,

So my face (Cheeks area mostly) has been feeling weird for 2-3 weeks. ~ Sort of numb and tight. I figured it was from the prednisone. (Though it didn't feel like that at higher doses of pred. )

Let me add that I was tapered from 60 to 40 (stayed at 40 for a month) and then (thankfully) more gradually tapered from 40-20 by 5 mg increments weekly. I had some slightly higher sed and crp labs and some symptoms returning and my rheumy popped me back up to 30 mg pred. My symptoms have Not diminished since upping the prednisone on Sat morning. If it was Weg GPA activity wouldn't the prednisone help relieve the symptoms? So I was thinking an ear infection might explain the ear pain and increased inflammation markers.

I hadn't thought much of the weird face/cheeks sensation and then today I had a muscle contract just below my mouth/ lip area for a moment. Sort of like the feet or hand cramps I occasionally get (which I put down to a side effect from pred and needing an extra calcium/ vit d supplement)

I don't know much about neuropathy but am now wondering if the cheeks numbness (that's not exactly the right word) could be neuropathy?

Any thoughts?

I'm going to boston this week to see rheumy and more labs are being run - just thought I'd ask you experts as well.
    Last edited by Gab122; 11-02-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're taking the best action you can. Hope the doc figures it out.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're taking the best action you can. Hope the doc figures it out.
    Thanks Pete
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having sudden numbness in face and lips on one side of my face. It's happened twice now. First time I figured I had just woke up so I figured I just slept too hard on one side. Today though, I was sitting up when it happened suddenly. Kinda freaked me out. It later subsided, but my cheeks still feel numb. I know my sinuses are inflamed right now. I have neuropathy in my hand on that side of my body as well so I'm wondering if it is connected. I am seeing my PCP this afternoon. He typically doesn't get too concerned about these things, but I don't see my rheumy till Jan. 12. Has anyone had anything similar and got an answer from a doc about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Gab. Not sure I understand the feeling. Is it symetric - same at both sides ? Is it aching ?
    I can just remember when my nose was bleeding, all my face was aching. Also had some pains with gum bleeding and with ears infections.
    Hang in there. Praying for you.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blm and Gab122,

I just stumbled upon your messages searching for neuropathy. Not sure what has happened since you wrote this but here's my reply in case it helps anyone.
    I have that face numbness/weird thing too plus the feet neuropathy.
    The face numbness is round my cheeks, lips, under eyes but more so on my right eye. My vision has turned very blurry too. the face numbness used to come and go but I feel like it's starting to settle and stick around.
    Also the neuropathy in my feet really, really bad. Numbness, permanently asleep, pins and needles all the time, very diminished feeling and movement, vascular pressure which is painful. Recently my right foot went so numb, I could no longer move it at the ankle.
    They put me on Gabapentin for nerve pain a while back but it really doesn't help much.
    Going to see my rheumatologist and talking to neurologist tomorrow. Going to ask for other options as the Rituxin treatment and prednisone are not doing the trick alone.
    Hope this helps.