Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methotrexate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Methotrexate

How long before Methotrexate is supposed to start working?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told that all the non-pred drugs take at least a month to fully kick in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Brooke, I've been on Methotrexate for six weeks, my joint pain eased up after 4-5 weeks on the medication, so I am hoping that is a good sign WG is getting under control.

How long have u been on the methotrexate? My Rheumy did say it could take up to 12 weeks for improvement to manifest itself.

I have another question to add - my Rheumy has just put me on a course of Penicillin for throat infection and the chemist seemed to be concerned about the interaction between that and Methotrexate and advised me to be careful of any side affects I may experience, has anyone else been on both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Penicillins may increase methotrexate level. Which can cause methotrexate toxicity. So call your doctor to let him/her know and get some labs done. Need to check your methotrexate and liver enzymes at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on Methotrexate not quite 2 months. I am feeling a little better overall but not there yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, have you taken cyclophosphamide before taking mtx
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I increased my methotrexate dose gradually - I started on 10mg a week and it took about 2 months to get up to 20mg. Once I got to 20mg, my doctor said it would take up to three months for me to see the effects. I'm not sure yet if it is working for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jola, no I have not taken cyclophosphamide, what is that?
    Fester, thanks. I started at 10 mg for one week, then 15 mg for one week, then 25 mg and that is what I am currently on.
    I think I just get sicker quickly. People have been sick with sinus infections, and other things at my work and then I get it too. I was feeling really good last week and then I think I caught something. My son also goes to a large day care center so he brings stuff home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke. cyclophosphamide is cytoxan which is a chemo drug to decrease your immune system. They usually use that first to treat WG. I did not start that treatment when I was diagnosed in 2008. They didn't want to start something toxic because of my kidney transplant. If you had lung nodules (many), coughing up blood, joint pain, and ect... they would treat you with cytoxan or ritux. I can't remember your first symptoms. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooke, it's also possible that Wegs is causing the sinus problems, not repeated bugs. Wegs sinus symptoms can be identical to a sinus or upper respiratory infection. I don't have sinus involvement, but I'm sure the others on here can help you differentiate between Wegs and bugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast