User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Back Pain; could it be kidney involvement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Back Pain; could it be kidney involvement?

Hi everyone,
    just curious, what does kidney pain feel like? I have had back pain off and on since having my son (over a year ago). so far, tests have been normal. I'm on 7.5mg of MTX currently just for maintenance.

I wonder because I get pain but it feels better if I rub my back, so it feels like the muscles are sore from picking up a toddler 500 times a day. However, last night, the pain woke me up. Note, I'm not sure if it was gas or not (sorry if that is TMI). This has happened before, and like I said before, all blood and urine tests have been normal.

I'm just unsure what to think and was curious about what you have experienced. I think I'm freaking out a little, but want to be sure since it is so important.

Thanks!
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't take this as gospel (I don't have MD after my name), but I would think kidney pain would be low and off to either side. Back pain resulting from a spinal injury would be more to the center. You could have a chronic back strain, a disc problem, or something else. A chat with your PCP would be a good place to start.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I have a blood/urine test that is waiting for me to take at the doc, so I'm going to do that ASAP. But you've put my mind at ease a little bit, thank you. It's definitely centered in my back, which made me feel it was muscle not kidney. But I haven't had kidney involvement before, so I'm totally new to any of the symptoms if they come up.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a kidney biopsy and was surprised how high up the kidneys are... I'm going to try to post a photo for you that I found online. They are def to the side. Not middle. Hope that helps.
    Gab
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post
    Thanks. I have a blood/urine test that is waiting for me to take at the doc, so I'm going to do that ASAP. But you've put my mind at ease a little bit, thank you. It's definitely centered in my back, which made me feel it was muscle not kidney. But I haven't had kidney involvement before, so I'm totally new to any of the symptoms if they come up.
    My significant kidney involvement was painless. Just extra severe fatigue. Some times doctor tells you that if you have pain it is good sign that it is not usually the more severe thing you are worried about. I heard that when I was concerned about maybe having developed breast cancer. The doctor reassured me by saying that breast cancer is not usually painful at first so it is probably some thing else and it was. Blood in urine and bad labs are likely to be the first sign of GPA kidney involvement.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kidney doc said back pain wouldn't be wegs--said if in kidney area could be a stone--and of course there's no reason we couldn't get kidney stones, but at least it wouldn't be wegs As far as I know there are no symptoms of wegs related kidney involvement. Well, yes there are, but by the time the urine is tea colored you'll probably have other symptoms of wegs.