Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myfortic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Myfortic

My son, Josh is taking Myfortic vs Cellcept for immunosuppressant med. He is currently on dialysis hoping for transplant later this year. Does anyone know why he may have been prescribed Myfortic vs. Cellcept? Has any one ever taken Myfortic? He's having some stomach/nausea/throwing up issues in the morning times and wondered if anyone had these side affects. Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a transplant and used to take Cellcept, but switched to Myfortic because it is slow release and easier on the stomach. I still have lots of digestive tract problems, but have never really discovered the cause other than 25 years of taking toxic drugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take cellcept and it has not caused stomach problems yet. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that. I also take culturelle for the stomach, which helps keep the digestive system in balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Lansoprazole and Loperamide. I could not get by without them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cellcept gave me diarrhea right after eating anything. That's a common side effect. So common that docs call it "Cellcept diarrhea."

I only got heartburn for about 15 minutes within 1/2 hour of taking it. Otherwise it was fine. Does Josh take his daily dose all at once? I took 1,000 mg in the morning and at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sangye, when you go back to " Cellcept diarrhea", what are you going to take to counteract that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really helped me to drink 2 oz of aloe vera gel twice a day. I mixed 2 oz into a glass of water--thoroughly mix it to get rid of lumps. That minimized the diarrhea for the most part. It's best to use the gel, rather than the juice. I had an Ayurvedic practitioner figure this one out for me! Aloe is fine with any drugs-- no interactions, and nothing to interfere with Wegs.

I also just remembered-- if I took Cellcept on an empty stomach I got a lot of stomach pain and heartburn all day. I was fine if I took it with meals.
    Last edited by Sangye; 01-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is the advantage in Myfortic. The pills are "foil coated, gastro-resistant" which I guess means that they dissolve in your gut rather than stomach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks Sangye. My next question, if doctors know that cellcept causes diarrhea, then why give it? Why not write a prescription for myfortic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your info. Josh is taking 720mg Myfortix 2x day. It seems to be the morning time that's rough for him. Yesterday we tried taking Myfortic with a little glass of water on empty stomach in them morning and Josh did well (THANK GOD!). We'll see what today brings. Yeah, it seems that most people are taking Cellcept and I wondered why Josh wasn't taking that one instead of Myfortic. Maybe because he has kidney failure??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast