Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Methotrexate vs. Imuran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Methotrexate vs. Imuran

I am on 25 mg MTX weekly and don't do well with the side effects. Has anyone switched from MTX to Imuran that can tell me if it is something that I should consider doing or if Imuran has its' own list of side effects and I would be no further ahead? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your doctor wants to switch you to Immuran, be sure you get the TMPT test first. This tests your genetic compatibility with this drug. My doc didn't do this and I had a really rough time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think before switching, you might want to ask your rheumy if you can go down to 20mg from the 25mg you are on. Going to 20mg was a big chance for me. At 20, I feel hardly any effect -- in fact, I feel no side effects. But, I have lots of other problems to pick up the slack, so I don't always know which drug is doing what. But, anyway, ask him you can try 20, you might be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we all know, our bodies are all different and we all respond differently to different meds. I had a much harder time on the mtx than immuran. Maybe its something you wont know until you try. The mtx really made me low for a couple days each week. But i was taking them together at one point, for several years. I would say the immuran was much kinder to me. It may depend on where your gpa is active. My dr used immuran for the activity in my trach, and mtx for my joints. Sounds kinda weird. I wonder if anyone else had a treatment plan like this...