Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cateract surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cateract surgery

Has anyone had cateract surgery? I am scheduled to have it on both eyes in November. I am concerned about infection. I think otherwise it is supposed to be pretty uneventful. I believe cateracts are another curse from prednisone.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife (who is 100% healthy) just had cataract surgery and my 89 yr old mother also just had it done. It was totally uneventful. Personally, I wouldn't worry about infection, but ask the doctor. If you are on mtx or any other immune suppressor, then they may ask you to quit for a while leading up to the surgery and just after, but, again, your doctor will now best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was supposed to have cataract surgery in August but had to postpone due to a flare and being put on prednisone 60mg a day Waiting for the taper to end then we will re-schedule the surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have recently had two cataract surgeries and could not be happier. I don't have WG...but have serious respiratory issues. I was on a chemo drug at the time ( a monthly shot aimed at allergies). I am also on long term pred. It definitely caused acceleration of cataract development. Both of mine were the kind on the back of the eye, which is typical of pred induced cataracts. The surgery itself was very easy. And the results have been aweome. I would just suggest that you choose a surgeon with lots of experience and who you trust to do his/her research on your unique concerns. Also, run it all past your WG doctor so you know about any concerns that doc might have. Bottom line...my eyes feel like a miracle to me. 20/20 in both eyes. Only need reading glasses now. I decided to still have progressive lenses. I am used to wearing glasses and did not want to be constantly hunting for reading glasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cataract surgery was the only surgery my Wegs doctors said was safe for me until I was in remission for a year. The rationale was that it was a bloodless surgery so no risk to me. I had no problems but had them done one at a time cause back then there were protective glasses and bandages used for safety reasons that affected my vision. Now most doctors don't bother with them, just lots of drops afterwards.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband had cataract surgery this year - no change in meds for it. Is on 15 mg of MTX a week and 7.5 mg of prednisone. No issues.

Aldena

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replies! Arleta

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had surgery in June, on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. It's a 15 min procedure. I had to take 3 different eye drops to prevent infection and there was no problem with infection, or any other side effects.