Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water Quality?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Water Quality?

So Erin Brockovich has been publicizing that my local water supply is not what it should be. Anybody else with WEGS concerned about water quality, exposure to chemicals or bacteria, virus, etc. through drinking water?

Anybody using filtration products that they particularly like?

Not sure I want to invest in a whole-house system due to cost. Right now I'm drinking bottled water and cooking with tap water.

Am I getting paranoid about these things or are others of you concerned?

I mean the EPA guidelines are "acceptable" for folks who are neither pregnant or immuno-compromised. Their words, not mine.
    Just wondered what others were doing or thought about this subject.

Just saying --

Becky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the water I drink is tap water run through a carbon filter in my refrigerator. I hadn't really given water quality a thought, but I will start now. My local water supply is from a reservoir which is downstream from a largely agricultural area. This means that the surface runoff into the reservoir contains farmyard waste, fertilizers, and pesticides. I'll run that by my doc when I see her this week and get her take on it.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will never be proven, but I might have had wegs as early as 55 years ago when I was 10. I was very sick for an entire year. The only thing that saved me was high doses of hydrocortisone which in 1961 was a new miracle drug. They never did figure out what I had, but suspected it might have been caused by eating ice from a creek that ran through our farm.

Seven miles up stream from the creek was a very small sewage treatment facility, but it didn't dump water (even if processed) into the creek. Doctors today have dismissed the idea that I might have had wegs back then and it went into remission, but I will always wonder.

We have often said on the forum that there might be a genetic predisposition for wegs (or other AI's) that is triggered by some "event" such as a sinus infection, pneumonia, flu, etc. So, there's no reason we couldn't add water to that list, but we won't know until a lot more research is done. It will be a long time....

So, to answer your question, should you be drinking filtered water? Personally, I like the taste of bottled water more than most tap waters, so I drink a lot of bottled water, but I'm not adverse to drinking plain old tap water. All our cooking is done with tap water. So you are doing the same as I do.

Don't get to paranoid about having wegs. I think most of us, certainly me, have a tendency to want to blame every ailment we have on wegs. As that great sage, Jack, once said "just because you have one bad disease, doesn't mean you can't have another". Not every sniffle, joint pain, or cough is caused by us having wegs -- some are just common cold, flu, etc or just getting older (which is my case).
    Last edited by vdub; 09-26-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Vdub -

As a Newbie I'm looking under every rock. This is reassuring.

- Becky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the filtration pitchers one can buy at most big box stores and replace the filters that are are supposed to take out most of the harmful chemicals. The only real safe way to get drinking water would be a reverse osmosis water or maybe distilled water or from ice from thousands of years ago. Most ground water is probably contaminated too by now from oil drilling, fracking, run off, and other sources. Our rain has been contaminated for years as have our lakes from the rain and air pollution. But we still drink our water from the lakes and rivers. And our bottled water usually comes from there too.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought out home almost 2 years ago; it was built in 1957 but newly remodeled. However, after moving in, we knew immediately that the plumbing was probably as old as the home, as we could see rust in the water. We got a new water heater, as well as put a charcoal filter on the fridge. We also put a Pur charcoal filter on the kitchen sink for any water usage for drinking, cooking, or for the dogs. We even went a step further recently and bought a water dispensing system, which uses large jugs of distilled water. I would love to have our plumbing upgraded, but we just can't afford it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I added a three stage antimicrobial filter under my kitchen sink that is running off a hard plumbed "mix valve". I have the temperature set on the mix valve to the temp that I like for nasal rinses. It takes some priming to get warm water to the little drinking water faucet, but once it is there, it's pretty nice to have filtered water that is the right temp to run through my waterpik.We keep the water we run through waiting for it to get hot in a brita pitcher on the counter and that's what we drink and cook with.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Becky,

Basically, if they serve it at a hospital, don't eat it.

I used to drink tap water but found that RO filtered water makes a big difference. Culligan has an advanced Reverse Osmosis system and they wash their bottles well so I get 20 gallons dropped off every two weeks. It works. It's easy. I have no mineral deficiencies or problems from the RO water. But this is one of those changes that happened slowly. Giving up meat and getting rid of factory farmed food was first. Water is easy compared to that.

Any toxin in my body requires resources to be cleared. All my resources need to be used for healing damage from wegeners.

The best way to lower that work load is to reduce stressors. Internal and External. Consumed chemicals that are not nutrients are external stressors. Sugar is bad but ice cream is my worst and takes a while to clear. If I eat it a 2-3 days in a row, my wegeners jumps. External stressor. It takes too much resources. So does chemicals in water. Bacteria in water. Dirty food. Filthy children (jk).

Here The Code of Federal Regulations lists a ton of chemicals allowed in food. This first list is far from the full story. Check out this list of pesticides allowed pre and post harvest to get a better idea of whats in food. Many, if not most, are shocking. Do you want to eat Vinyl Acetate? Polyethylene? Well. We it's in food. Don't even look under the "inert" disguise / loophole. Ethylene Glycol, a known poison is even on the list. My friends, I'll save you all a lot of time and headaches. The fact is, if you read the CFR, you quickly see that we were sold out by big agriculture decades ago. The chemicals in water are no different. Kills bacteria good. Not good for consumption. These regs are necessary. I've seen horror when they are dismissed BUT they are corrupted by money in politics.

Flouride, hypochlorites (usually bleach) and other water treatment chemicals kill bacteria, which is awesome, but these chemicals also need to be cleared from body.
    My worst kidney involvement was when I was eating meat and drinking tap water.
    Liver and kidneys do better since I stopped soda, tap water and that kind of garbage drinks. I guess that sounds negative on tap water....Well, I guess that's where I'm at now.

My buddy works at the local water plant.
    I asked him last week, "Do you drink the tap water?"
    He said, "No. I only drink the water after we filter it; not before we put the chemicals in it."
    This is the guy dumping barrels of chemicals in the tap water.

Hope this helps.
    T
    Best wishes,
    Tom
    ----------------------------------
    2 years untreated. Dx w/ biopsy - 2000
    Tx Plan:

NUTRITION
    RESTORATIVE SLEEP
    RAISE ANABOLISM
    REDUCE ALL INT / EXT STRESSORS