Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flu Vaccine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great news because I have been worried about shingles. I'll ask my rhum next week to see what he says. did you have any reaction? thanks for the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Since diagnosis I have had the flu vaccine, the pneumovax, and the shingles vax, all on the schedule prescribed by the rheumatologist. The schedule has to do with your level of other meds, etc. You may have individual circumstances that would cause your doc to recommend for or against a vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctors asked me if I had any negative reaction to flu shots in the past. I haven't. But if I have had then they would advise me to skip it as the flu shots tend to be lot less effective with older people but they are also the ones most at risk from dying from the flu. So far the risk benefit ratio generally favors me getting the flu shot but I ask my doctors each time. The odds of the flu shot helping me are low but the risks of having a serous reaction to it are thought to be even lower and the odds of having problems from the flu are thought to be rather high so I expect I will get it next week again.

Some times they guess wrong and put in the wrong strains into the vaccine and then it doesn't do much good. That has happened a couple times in recent years.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During a recent hospital stay for DVT I was given the high dose flu vaccine and was offered the shingles vaccine, but I had already had it. I am on 5 mg Prednisone
    and 50 mg Imuran. Neither seemed to be a concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There seem to be a lot of "experts" on vaccines. I am not one of them. I didn't think this forum was supposed to be about giving overt medical advice, but rather sharing experiences and offering support.

I tend to follow the advice of my doctors, but try to ask educated questions of them to make sure things are going in the right direction. I got the vaccines my physicians recommended and have not had any problems.

Draw your own conclusions from what you read and the qualified medical advice you receive. This illness has different features for different patients.

Also, every patient has unique preexisting issues that could influence a decision regarding vaccines or other treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as the should we shouldn't we get the flu jab debate goes, I'm of the thinking that it must do more good than harm. The reason being, the NHS would not encourage their own staff to have the vaccine (at the NHS expense). It would mean the NHS are spending a lot of money to make their work force sick and cause themselves a massive headache in sick pay costs and managing cover at a time when they are already short staffed.
    Plus the NHS pays for a huge amount of vaccines for the elderly and other groups at risk.

I am always advised to have my flu shot 2 weeks before my next Rituximab infusion. This is the point when my RTX "levels" will be at there lowest, whilst still giving my immune system a 2 week window to make antibodies.
    I need a Hepatitis B vaccine course for dialysis and transplant. I was told today that I should follow a similar regeigm as the flu jab, but if the dialysis/transplant team want it to be 100% effective, I should wait 6 months after my last RTX infusion (pedicted to be Jan 2017 if no flare).
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    I happened to have an appointment with my GP today. She said she does not think it's indicated for younger people (under 65) including and perhaps especially those who are immune compromised. It triggers a stronger immune response than the regular formula, which is not necessarily something we want, right?
    Tom, Do you know... If the high dose is not for the immune suppressed.... Might the lower dose not be for the immune suppressed too? I had 2 ritux infusions in Aug (8th and 25th) and my next is Dec 13. I was on 60 mg pred and as of 2 weeks ago I am on 40 mg now. So I think i'm considered immune suppressed.

I did talk with my Primary care Provider a week ago about a flu shot and she thought it didn't make much sense since I don't have B cells. Which I didn't fully understand what that meant. Can anyone explain that to me? Our conversation moved on and I didn't get a chance to ask her. She later suggested I wait until early Oct. Can't recall for sure but I think she thought i'd have more immune system function by then.... and so it would do me good. Does the Flu vac not work if you don't have B cells?
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    I am always advised to have my flu shot 2 weeks before my next Rituximab infusion. This is the point when my RTX "levels" will be at there lowest, whilst still giving my immune system a 2 week window to make antibodies.
    Gilders, Can you explain more about this 2 week window before your next ritux.... when you are to get the flu shot? If you are making antibodies during that time - are they wiped out w/ the next ritux infusion? Please see my post above this one also - in case you can help w/ that question too.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the thread I was talking about: here on page 2, please read marta's posts:

http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...ho-gets-2.html

P.s. alaskatom, hopefully each one of us is an expert for his own case
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's right, Alysia: Know the particular features of your illness and make decisions with your trusted health care providers accordingly, but don't assume that your decisions are right for others.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast