Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu Vaccine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flu Vaccine

I understand there is some conflicting thought on the Flu Vaccine. It was suggested to me to have an "Xtra strength" vaccine and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have given me the vaccine for "high risk" cases when there is more than one choice.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    They have given me the vaccine for "high risk" cases when there is more than one choice.
    So the higher potency dose - were you on meds such as prednisone or MTX at the time and did you have any problems with the higher dose drz?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The higher dose is designed for people at least 65 years old, supposedly because they need greater protection due to weakening of the immune system associated with aging. My doctor has not mentioned or recommended it, so I have stuck with the regular dose. I already got mine this year, but I intend to ask my doc about it for future reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on prednisone 5 mg and got the high dose flu shot sept 1 - no side effects at all for me.

Correction: It is not "high dose" - actually it is greater coverage - 4 strains instead of three I was told by pharmacicst.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fluzone high dose formula, which is what it is called on their website, contains four times the amount of antigen than the regular formula. (Lisa, perhaps we're not talking about the same thing?) I happened to have an appointment with my GP today. She said she does not think it's indicated for younger people (under 65) including and perhaps especially those who are immune compromised. It triggers a stronger immune response than the regular formula, which is not necessarily something we want, right? She also mentioned that there is a higher incidence of side effects with the high dose formula. I'm guessing that if you're not 65, you would need a doctor's order to get it anyway, so you'd have a chance to discuss it and how it would affect your particular situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    The Fluzone high dose formula, which is what it is called on their website, contains four times the amount of antigen than the regular formula. (Lisa, perhaps we're not talking about the same thing?) I happened to have an appointment with my GP today. She said she does not think it's indicated for younger people (under 65) including and perhaps especially those who are immune compromised. It triggers a stronger immune response than the regular formula, which is not necessarily something we want, right? She also mentioned that there is a higher incidence of side effects with the high dose formula. I'm guessing that if you're not 65, you would need a doctor's order to get it anyway, so you'd have a chance to discuss it and how it would affect your particular situation.
    oh thanks I must have misunderstood -
    it is 4 times the antigen not 4 strains of flu. Or maybe my pharmacist was sloppy in describing it......I'm over 65 and I don't think 5 mg prednisone is considered immuno compromised though. In any case I survived! On reflection I felt very tired the next day but otherwise ok. I should have googled it first before just saying yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, sounds like you're good. My doc said she would still recommend it if I was 65, depending on the level of immuno-suppresion I am dealing with then. I got the regular dose, and as usual no side effects, except this time the pharmacist hit a little blood vessel and I had a golf ball sized bruise and quite a lot of soreness for at least a week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskatom View Post
    No, sounds like you're good. My doc said she would still recommend it if I was 65, depending on the level of immuno-suppresion I am dealing with then. I got the regular dose, and as usual no side effects, except this time the pharmacist hit a little blood vessel and I had a golf ball sized bruise and quite a lot of soreness for at least a week!
    wow! how about the shingles vaccine? I didn't get it because of the prednisone 5 mg - it's a live vaccine I was told. I wonder if 5 mg is ok for the shingles vaccine? I'll ask the rhum next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been some sort of heated threads on here about vaccines in general. All I can say is I follow the advice of my doctors who know my particular circumstances. I was told to get the shingles vaccine as soon as I was below 20 mg of prednisone, so I did. In general it's recommended for people age 60 and over, but I got an order to have it at age 58 because my rheumatologist recommended it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast