Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fighting off sicknesses after rituxan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fighting off sicknesses after rituxan

Hi guys, Just looking for a little reassurance i guess. I am 6 weeks post rituxan, and i got hit with a cold. Congestion, coughing, sneezing... anyway this was my first treatment of rituxan, so im a bit unsure of what happens next. I have my first appointment with my rheumy since treatment on the 26th and i hope to feel better equipped to deal with this stuff after that. Im just wondering what your experience has been? Will our bodies still fight it ? Does it just take longer? I know it is a virus as my children have it too. But if i understand we have to be careful it doesnt turn into an infection i guess? I also know 6 weeks post rituxan is a more critical time and thats where im at. Any of your experiences would be much appreciated. Thankyou!!! Oh and i will be emailing my dr...but she doesnt have wegeners like my friends here do. Not that that is funny, just more comforting.
    Last edited by im so blessed; 09-16-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Blessed, sorry to hear you and the kiddos are sick! I don't have any experience yet fighting off colds since my Rituxan infusions... so I can't offer you any experience or words of wisdom in that respect. Your T cells are still active tho as ritux doesn't kill them. So they will be fighting for you. Watch for signs of infection tho (my RA told me to call if I have a fever of 100.4 or more as the prednisone I'm on will mask fevers.)
    I hope you feel better soon!!! Be gentle with yourself and try to rest as much as you can !
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would let your doctor know what is going on with you. He/she will let you know what you need to do and watch out for. I did get a sinus infection following retuxan and it got more severe than it usually was. It came on fast and was bad. The doctor prescribed antibiotic right away. Good luck. I hope you get better.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also just finished my first round of Rituxan (4 infusions over 4 weeks), and have been sick ever since. Right now I'm fighting something major, and even though my rheumy gave me a 5-day course of antibiotics & ordered blood tests, she really has no idea what I'm sick with. I've had constant fevers, very swollen lymph nodes in my neck & underarms, severe shooting pain in my upper left chest & other places, nerve issues causing loss of left hand control & weakness, and shortness of breath.

I hate going to the ER, but the stabbing/shooting pain in my upper left chest is getting so horrible that I may just go. I'm trying to hold out until tomorrow & call my regular doctor. I just don't feel my rheumy takes me seriously enough when I get really sick. I'm just really tired & frustrated now; I thought Rituxan was everyone's "miracle drug", but it has done nothing for me.