User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Methylprednisolone and hair loss?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Methylprednisolone and hair loss?

I am on 24 mg of Methylprednisolone for about 6 months. Has anyone noticed hair loss on just this alone and nothing else? I am worried my hair won't grow back? If anyone has experienced this did the hair grow back and what time frame? I am so worried. I'm sure this has been asked before but I used to have such thick hair and now I've noticed it comes out so easily. Please help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lost my hair when on cytoxin and prednisone. I wore a wig for about 7 months. At that point it was time for school to start (I was a teacher) and I decided to start the new school year minus the wig...my hair was VERY short, though. My hair was very thick and slightly wavy before the hair loss. It came back in curly and wavy but still thick, so it is another part of the "new normal" of Wegener's. That was over 7 years ago, and it is still pretty curly on top and more wavy in back. I am thankful to have hair!!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    ----Arleta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to take folic acid to reduce/stop hair loss. I think you can get it OTC.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer your question, I personally haven't heard of hair loss from pred alone (either methylprednisolone or prednisone), but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I would give the folic acid a shot, and yes, here in the US, anyway, it is available OTC and isn't very expensive. I take about 1200mcg a day since being on methotrexate, between my vitamin supplement and my folic acid pill, but I've heard of people taking more. Good luck.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011