Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RTX for maintenance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had rituxan in July 2014 and again in October 2014. I went into remission and have not had a flair since. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My doctor did not want to give rituxan for maintenance as he felt it was the best treatment for any flare should that happen in the future. In fact I am only on arava to help reduce inflammation and no other typical maintenance drugs. My Dr. said that if it was used for maintenance it could (not would) reduce its effectiveness for future treatments of flares. I'm sure if I had a flare up he would be using it again. I am very blessed that I have been WG free for two years now.
    Karen; dx'ed April 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me I have had 3 pairs of RTX infusions for flares. Using MTX in between. I am just about to have another pair as I have flared again (4 flares in 7 years).

I had asked my rheumatologist for maintenance RTX but he really did not want to go down that route. I am sure cost is part of the reason but as it is currently the drug of last resort there is a danger it could stop working. Finally he said, as it kills the immune system I could easily pick up some other 'bug' that could kill me,and he did not want to do that.

As a result I will be staying on the same regime.
    Diagnosed July 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwc51 View Post
    For me I have had 3 pairs of RTX infusions for flares. Using MTX in between. I am just about to have another pair as I have flared again (4 flares in 7 years).

I had asked my rheumatologist for maintenance RTX but he really did not want to go down that route. I am sure cost is part of the reason but as it is currently the drug of last resort there is a danger it could stop working. Finally he said, as it kills the immune system I could easily pick up some other 'bug' that could kill me,and he did not want to do that.

As a result I will be staying on the same regime.
    My doc is using ritux as the drug of choice to start my treatment. I haven't heard it called the drug of last resort. I think there must be a lot of varied opinions on ritux among doctors. It is fairly new as a treatment for wegs gps. They must still be learning a lot about it.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently in a trial to compare the effectiveness of RTX as maintenance therapy with more traditional maintenance drugs such as Azathioprine and MTX. I'll be heading off for my next RTX infusion soon. For anyone interested in the trial, it's called RITAZAREM.

I'm hopeful that the trial will reveal some positive results. When the trial completes, I'll post results as soon as I'm aware of them.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rehumatologist treating my son earlier two years back used to say Rituximab should be reserved to future relapses,
    and maintenance with Azoran.
    now, he is of the opinion he will give Rituximab for maintenance @ 500mg every 6 months and stop after two years,
    what if relapse again?
    Again remission induction with Rituximab @ 1gm 15 days once twice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My maintenance is 1g every 4th month. I maybe showing signs of activity. I don't think they will give me a higher strength of RTX for a flareas another patient on the same trial as me had a flare and they stopped RTX to replace with another therapy. I'm running out of options though as I can't have Cyclophosphamide and some other traditional "Wegener's drugs" due to severe kidney failure. I think Mycophenalate is kidney friendly, so that might be the choice.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to cheer you all up
    ??????????? - ??????? ????????? ????? ?????? ????????? ? ????? ??????

Its in Hebrew. An article in a journal for rheumatology talking about the biological meds for arthritis diseases. It is written that rtx (they call it mabthera in Israel) is keeping its efficiency over time.
    Last edited by Alysia; 09-30-2016 at 02:52 AM. Reason: I see that the link appears all in ???? I guess because of the Hebrew
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Something to cheer you all up
    ??????????? - ??????? ????????? ????? ?????? ????????? ? ????? ??????

Its in Hebrew. An article in a journal for rheumatology talking about the biological meds for arthritis diseases. It is written that rtx (they call it mabthera in Israel) is keeping its efficiency over time.
    Alysia, I got the following info from my dr today: confirms your info!

"As for your question regarding treatment with rituxan, it is not used as a last chance treatment and does not become less effective with repeated use. We have patients who have been on this treatment for years with no flares and some who have not needed more infusions because of its efficacy."

Woot woot! 👍😊🎉

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123