Thread: Question about targeting B cells

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question about targeting B cells

Hi all,

I've been reading up a lot lately as you can imagine. Trying to understand what is happening in my body.

Here's what I think is the (dumbed down) current concensus as I understand it: please correct me where I'm misunderstanding the process/ disease.

The ANCA cells are changing the cytoplasm on the neutrophils (B cells) and the neutrophils/B cells are then in turn attacking the lining of blood vessels.

The treatment is to kill the B cells and stop the attack on the blood vessels.

What I don't understand, is why aren't we just killing the ANCA cells themselves and keeping the B cells so we have better immunity while being treated?

I feel like I must be missing something in my understanding of it all.

Thanks for any clarification.
    Gab
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have been doing some homework haven't you
    Please don't believe everything that google tells you because you will only start to stress. which isn't too good.

From what I understand, what you have written above is correct.

In regards to your question, the reason they target the B cells (and of course this is still just my understanding) is that the B cells are the ones that hold the memory and are the ones controlling the immune system, therefore if you don't kill off the B cells and their memory, they will just go back to what they were doing before hand, and that is to attack your blood vessels again - something like that. I'm sure others can explain it better than I can.

Basically, it has to do with them having/holding a memory
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I admit that I dont understand any of these internal dynamics, but if you go and read some of Marta's posts and threads, you can get a better idea. She is a genius and knows to explain it very well. This is her profile: http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...ers/marta.html
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bravo, Gab! I find all that very interesting. I never dug into wegs that deep as I was dealing with other stuff at the same time and trying to understand the endocrine system. Maybe someone will add more details to your explanation. I don't recall seeing a forum thread that discusses wegs at the molecular level. Did you find your info in medical journals or research studies? This could be a good thread. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Vdub,
    😊

I found a mind blowingly informative thread started by alysia back in May that some brilliant members have posted on. It's a MUST-READ for those wanting a nitty-gritty understanding of GPA.

Here's the link.
    http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...mphocytes.html

As for my understand of GPA - I do read medical journals and research studies and anything I can find online. I've even paid to read "the rest of the article" when I thought it would help my understanding. Most info is free.

Mark76 and marta and some others have a great and 100x better understanding of this disease than me.

Inside my head right now 99% of the members on this forum are all blurred together about what they have posted - sort of like walking into a party and not really seeing faces but hearing people tell stories and discuss things, it all jumbles together quite a bit at the end of the evening. I'm sure with time people will start to be more distinguished in my mind.

My brain is on over-load and very much rusty as I just came off of 12.5 years as a stay-at-home mom in Feb! And at 49 years old I definately have a Peri-menopausal brain and or aging brain. I re-entered the work force entirely by choice, taking a part-time job at a medical call center. It was a VERY stressful training period for me as I felt like I wasn't learning my job very quickly at first and I'm a bit of a perfectionist about performing well at work. I wonder what role (if any) that stress had in my GPA activating in May?

I highly recommend reading the link above - preferably at the time of day your most reading to stretch your gray-matter a bit. 😜

Have a great day,
    Gab