Thread: Supplements, medicine questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Supplements, medicine questions

More questions from this newbie.
    So I'm on prednisone and had 1st infusion of ritux for GPA.
    I'm on Bactrim/Sentra and Prilosec for risks associated w/ GPA meds. And Ambien cuz prednisone keeps me up.
    Also taking: I was told by dr to take calcium and Vit D and by pharmacist to take probiotics.
    On my own (not verified with anyone) I'm taking Vit c and multi vit.
    I'm also taking Rx for mundane conditions - including sinus/allergy and asthma which are worse now with GPA. seems like a ton of medicine. I also started using canned saline nasal wash to rinse sinuses.

Questions:
    Are there other supplements I should be taking?
    How frequently do you get tested for liver function?

Thank you,
    Gabrielle
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was also given some thing to try reduce mouth sores and take acyclovir: here is the info I found about it on internet. I think it is helpful for those of use with impaired immune systems.

Acyclovir is used to treat infections caused by certain types of viruses. It treats cold sores around the mouth (caused by herpes simplex), shingles (caused by herpes zoster), and chickenpox.

This medication is also used to treat outbreaks of genital herpes. In people with frequent outbreaks, acyclovir is used to help reduce the number of future episodes.

Acyclovir is an antiviral drug. However, it is not a cure for these infections. The viruses that cause these infections continue to live in the body even between outbreaks. Acyclovir decreases the severity and length of these outbreaks. It helps the sores heal faster, keeps new sores from forming, and decreases pain/itching. This medication may also help reduce how long pain remains after the sores heal. In addition, in people with a weakened immune system, acyclovir can decrease the risk of the virus spreading to other parts of the body and causing serious infections.

I take two types of calcium, one works better with food and one is OK without.

I t is cheaper to use the sinus rinse packets or make your own with three parts salt that has no iodine and regular baking soda. This is approximate ratio listed on most packaged packets sold in drug stores. The store brand is also cheaper than big name brand but salt and soda should be easy ingredients. The big brand packets might be more water proof for travel.
    Last edited by drz; 08-15-2016 at 04:54 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you use a Neti pot with the saline water mixture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gab122 View Post
    Do you use a Neti pot with the saline water mixture?
    I use a sinus rinse machine and NeilMed squeeze bottle that you can get at most drug stores. The Sinus Pulse Machine has a bit more volume so it can provide a longer rinse but both can be used several times if needed to get the gunk flushed out. Generally most doctors say you can't rinse too much but don't rinse if there is serious blockage in nasal passages since that might force water into the Eustachian tubes.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I use a sinus rinse machine and NeilMed squeeze bottle that you can get at most drug stores. The Sinus Pulse Machine has a bit more volume so it can provide a longer rinse but both can be used several times if needed to get the gunk flushed out. Generally most doctors say you can't rinse too much but don't rinse if there is serious blockage in nasal passages since that might force water into the Eustachian tubes.
    I do the same. I mix saline in one of the Pampered Chef mixing pitchers. At one time, I was running 3 liters, two times a day with the sinu-pulse machine--just to keep them open.

Go find an EXCELLENT ENT. Do not settle for the one that is the most local if you aren't getting treated for the major sinus symptoms this disease presents.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"