Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver, BC, Canada?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moyan, yes all docs can prescribe pred and are very familiar with pred (including its side effects/risks). You'll likely have to be the one who keeps count of how much you're on and for how long. All of us should keep a list of our drug histories including dosages, though.

Though I didn't have a clue about Wegs or treatment, etc... when I began on this road, I did have my training in diagnosis, diagnostic techniques (eg CT), etc.... It has served me well. It's why I try to help on here a lot. But yeah, if I didn't have it, I'd envy someone who did.

Jan-- steroids for strep? Good grief! You must have been horrified. I bet your husband gave him an earful, knowing what casual prescription of pred has done to you. Last year there was a newspaper article about how many people in the US are immune-compromised. I don't remember the number, but it was surprising how many were on pred for one thing or another. Even though I'm saddened by the damage pred did for you at "safe" dosages, I'm sure glad you're on here to inform people about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although the doc-in-the-box prescribed it to him way before I was dx (probably a year ago), even I was saying at the time -- "don't take that, my pulmologist says that it's not to be used lightly because it's a potentially very dangerous drug" -- and it's not like he was allergic to antibiotics or anything! My daughter also had (real) asthma, which she outgrew, and I remembered her pediatrician being furious that a doc at the ER she went to (having trouble breathing) gave her a prescription for such a huge dose of pred. So much so that she called him, the pharmacy told me it was a huge dose (the pharm said something like ''Is your daughter 100 lbs" -- she was maybe 7 at the time and doesn't weigh 90 now, at 12), and I called him.

The asshole (pardon my language), blasted me and said, "I gave the maximum dosage that is allowed by the PDR...if your doctor wants to question my judgment she should have opened her office and seen your daughter herself." Both times my son went to the ER, he was given pred for croup (which now they don't even treat really -- it will go away on my own). My ped is a youngish doc (my age) and really stays on top of the medical journals. I think that's why she was always extremely agressive on limiting the use of pred at all times. She is the first person who explained to me that pred use can even interfere with the 'fight or flight impulse', impair your judgmeent, shut down your own adrenals -- all things I didn't know.

As my rheumo said, "you saw all those great pictures of RA patients rising out of their deathbeds after pred was discovered at Mayo...but you never saw what they were like 10 years later." It does make you wonder what JFK would have been like if he had lived, although he would have had to have been on it chronically for Addison's. It clearly saved his life.

In a beautiful, quiet trailerpark, surburban Vancouver, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a movie on this theme, a great one and very good lesson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean Moyan. By the way, what movie are you refering to?

Very well put Elephant, Sangye, and JanW. I agree with you all 100%.

5. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Phil, I have no clou of the title, but I think Jack Nicholson played the doc. All in an institution where patients were severly mentally handicapped. Some med did wonder, but eventually effect stopped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL-- Moyan, I think you're mixing "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with "Awakenings." I combine movies sometimes, too! It can be hilarious.

Our movie would be called "Awakening the Cuckoo's Nest." Sounds about right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent idea , Sangye. Not "Cucko's nest" but "awakenings" could be it. You see, I take prednisone.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL-- Because I'm on pred I couldn't remember the title of Awakenings. I googled "Psychology Movies" and got a list of movies involved psychology!

What else can we blame on pred?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    LOL-- Because I'm on pred I couldn't remember the title of Awakenings. I googled "Psychology Movies" and got a list of movies involved psychology!

What else can we blame on pred?
    The corn on my toe?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my hubby could name a few ive left the deep fat fryer on twice ........ left things out off the frezzer i was suppose to be putting in ........leaving the bath taps on.................
    and others......my answer DID I ?.............. I DONT REMEMBER .....ITS ALL THE PREDS IM ON ................. DEE x

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast