User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another foot fracture! ARRGH!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another foot fracture! ARRGH!!!!

After having foot pain since before June 3, that my rheumy was convinced was gout, I found out today that I have another double fracture in my right foot. This sucks! I have to be basically off my feet as much as possible until July 19th, when I have another follow-up x-ray. I have a fracture of the second and third bones just above and slightly back from the ball of my foot.

Not sure yet if work will approve basically a desk job for the next three weeks...

For those of you with neuropathy, BE CAREFUL! My feet, once again, should have felt much worse when I was on them, but the neuropathy was blocking the pain signals too.

Off to another great freaking motorcycle riding season! ARRGH!!!!!

When is this h - - - going to end?!?!? It's been four long years of fighting, and I'm not getting a break, which I really, really need!! I've had one setback after another for the past two and a half years, and I am starting to finally wear down!

Thanks for listening everyone!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mate that's SO frustrating! How do you reckon the fracture happened? You may see this a a platitude but I'll say it anyway. The past is done and dusted. Look ahead mate and concentrate on when you'll be back on your feet. Easy to say for sure because I get bent out of shape looking back too but you can do it If you'd given up four years ago where would you be? You'd be in a worse position now I'm sure. Keep the fists up and keep punching
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Mate that's SO frustrating! How do you reckon the fracture happened? You may see this a a platitude but I'll say it anyway. The past is done and dusted. Look ahead mate and concentrate on when you'll be back on your feet. Easy to say for sure because I get bent out of shape looking back too but you can do it If you'd given up four years ago where would you be? You'd be in a worse position now I'm sure. Keep the fists up and keep punching
    Thanks Dude. Yes, it's just that BMW in my garage that has been parked 2 1/2 years is my only source of enjoyment/therapy that I had left after this stupid disease took over my life. And now, parked again.

Fracture could have happened any time in the past few months where I've been moving my entire department to three different locations on campus. Our new Mass-communications program is taking over my entire area on campus. Or, maybe when we've moved my father in law three times in the past 4 months, or maybe... Not sure really...

I do get it, and thanks. I've been taking it day by day the past 2.5 years, and it's been a long hard struggle. I rarely get on here with my day to day struggles, but they are a lot these days. I wonder when I am going to catch a break, in the future?

Just venting, which I rarely do here, but this time needed to do it, selfishly, for me.

G'Day Mate! (-8
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can empathize with your situation and understand your frustration.
    I was just starting recovering from a double hernia surgery early this year and looking forward to resuming my normal activity again when my ankle broke just walking down the hall the day before Valentine's Day. My doctors failed to diagnosed it correctly till the end of March when I asked for a MRI to try find out why it was swollen and hurt to walk on it. My podiatrist kept telling me it was not broken and that I could walk on it but he didn't know why is hurt or was swollen. I have been on a knee scooter since April 1 with no weight bearing allowed yet. And it is only partially healed. It might take another three or four months to heal if it finally does enough to walk on it again.

The meds I take, diabetes and Wegs all combine to create slow healing, and I guess fragile bones. My teeth have been disintegrating for several years and suspect the bones are now reacting the same way. I too was frustrated in missing out on many summer activities. I had just bought a new electric bike a few days before the break to help me ride on many bike trails and never got a chance to use it once yet.

If you are strong enough you might be able to do well on a knee scooter. One beautician in town did all her customers while on one. I find it rather exhausting but better than regular crutches. I bought some hands free crutches to try but it looks too dangerous and scary so i have never tried them yet. On the knee scooter the smaller ones are more mobile but dangerous when you hit any bumps. The all terrain ones handle bumps better and can do cracks and uneven surfaces better but are harder to navigate in smaller quarters and less stable over all since they only have three wheels so I have one for indoor and smooth surfaces and one for outdoor use.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For whatever it's worth - after a series of compression fractures in his spine, my husband's rheumatologist prescribed him a drug called Forteo. It grows bones. Is approved by the FDA for a two year course of treatment. It is a daily injection but a tiny needle like for insulin. It is expensive but the Dr. was able to justify to the insurance company and they approved the course of treatment for two years. Coincidentally, during the worst of the pain for the fractures his primary care physician prescribed Flexeril. It is a kind of muscle relaxer. We discovered that the Flexeril managed the pain of his neuropathy far better than gabapentin and he has been able to give up the gabapentin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I discussed this drug with the orthopedic surgeon i saw last week but he advised i discuss it with the
    Rheumatologist that prescribes my treatment for Wegs since he did not know if it would be safe for me to take. I had just finished five years of generic Fosomax which is supposed to help build stronger bones too.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband was on Fosomax for a couple of years then it started causing sores in his mouth. After the fractures started he tried it again and within 3 weeks the sores were back.

As I understand it - the Fosamax strengthens bones and the Forteo grows bone.
    Last edited by Girly3800; 06-29-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry Mike - arrgh I can feel your frustration.

The sucky disease that keeps on giving.

You can have some fun doing wheelies around the campus now. whilst you are waiting for the foot to heal, yet again
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I'm so sorry Mike - arrgh I can feel your frustration.

The sucky disease that keeps on giving.

You can have some fun doing wheelies around the campus now. whilst you are waiting for the foot to heal, yet again
    Yea, have to get it approved with HR and since I am limited duties for at least three weeks. <sigh>
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 07-06-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The repeated foot fractures really suck!! Hope this one heals quickly.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast