Thread: Limited GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prednisone

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    I have never heard of pred not doing anything -- very strange. What levels of pred were you on? How much mtx are you taking? When you say your face is getting worse, do you mean it is affecting more than just the sinuses? BTW, glad you joined our little group....
    I was injected, took oral, and IV prednisone. They were very high amounts. My glucose and B/P were wacked out big time! I was on Methotrexate for over 10 years. My skin is changing on nose and cheek. Methotrexate can cause that. I will be going back for another type of treatment soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My glucose and B/P were wacked out big time!
    Pred will do that.... Its called steroid-induced hyperglycemia and is very much like diabetes 2. I'm on enough steroids to cause hyperglycemia. I suppose the amount varies from one person to another, but suspect many of us have steroid-induced hyperglycemia to one degree or another. I take MetForminER for the condition and it brings A1C's right down to normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it is possible that pred will not help with certain issues. For me pred was life saver to my lungs and reduces the agony in my joints, ears and colon. BUT it never helped my bloody nose. Never had any influence on it. So if your wg is in the nose, Linda, it is possible that pred didnt help. For me mtx didnt work. Only rtx stopped the bloody nose that I had for about 3.5 years, untill it also became saddle.
    Welcome to the forum Linda. You can start a new thread at the new members introduction, if you feel like.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctor also said I have limited, no lung or kidney involvement. When I left the office I wondered if all of the virus' and illness' I had were real. For months I was sick, sick and sick. Yes, I am glad that no other involvement now but I am dealing with ear problems and no one is able to come to an agreement about how to manage it. I am on Imuran 75 up from 50, was on 100 but was decreased bc of elevated liver enzymes. I am having some hair loss on 75mg, getting labs soon so we will see how things are. Am a small person so may not be able to handle the 75. Some joint pain.
    I am a big advocate for myself and keep on top of things, if I feel that this doctor is not going in the right direction I will seek a second opinion. I am at large teaching facility so I feel I have the best care but you never know. Best of luck to you. d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed May 2015. My rheum didn't use the term "limited GPA" but my involvement was confined to upper respiratory system. Prednisone made me feel better all over than I had in probably 30 years (I'm in my sixties). But that's not my point. Rheum at vasculitis center told me that she feels maintenance treatment is important for the upper respiratory form because it is a little more likely to relapse. I was treated with Rituxamab infusions in July and officially in remission in December. Began Methotrexate for maintenance and slowly weaned off Prednisone (if there weren't any side effects, I would be happy to be on Prednisone forever. All my minor arthritis and energy problems are back without it.) I get tested every 6 weeks and she definitely looks at the results (recently returned from trip where I thought that I might have picked up an UTI so got my labs early and she called me the next day! I did have an UTI.) I don't know if any of you have been told that so just FYI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12