User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do YOU Think You Got Wegs (No answer is wrong) And ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the genetic predisposition group. I think the first time the disease became active was in 1961 when I was 10. It was a bad year -- I was in the hospital for some unknown condition for over a year. Many, many tests were done. Nothing seemed to help until the doctors tried large does of a new wonder drug that had just become available -- hydrocortisone. Eventually, my condition went into remission, but for the rest of my life I remained somewhat lathargic and tired. Even though, I had two successful careers, I don't recall ever being totally on top of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter of 2013, I had 7 sinus infections back to back and i couldn't shake it. ever since, i have never felt right. my fathers side of the family has a history of autoimmune diseases as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H1N1 vaccine in the 2009 Chicken Little Global freakout. My first symptoms were in Jan 2010.

That's what triggered me.
    My genetic predisposition is what allowed me to be triggered.

And some karmic propensity () but that's all good because I'm paying my karmic debt in this lifetime - ha ha - so it's all roses from here on in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Immune diseases are common on my mum's side. There's me, my mum, my aunt (mum's twin) and my Gran (mum's mum). With various auto immune diseases such as Lupus.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    I never thought genetics, never dawned on me. And until now I've never heard anyone on this site say that. Only thing I would wonder about: Out of 5 kids, why just me? Do any of you have multiple siblings AND one of your siblings ALSO has wegs? Maybe I'm making too much of numbers and not enough of the genetics(?).

David
    Here's a quote from Dr. Noel Rose on the AARDA site talking about Autoimmune Disease in general, but the two things they are quite certain of is genetic predisposition and environmental trigger - and this is for all autoimmune diseases. This is quite interesting. In my family out of four of us (mom, dad, sister and me- Lupus, RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, WG, Raynaud's, Lichen Simplex, and more) all of us have some sort of autoimmune disease and/or disorder.

This is why I started my foundation, because I want to somehow be part of the solution that keeps my daughter from having to go through a similar journey.
    I digress, here's the quote:

"Unlike some diseases, autoimmune diseases do not generally have a simple, single cause. There are usually two major categories of factors that are involved in causing autoimmune diseases: genetics and environment. Virtually every autoimmune disease combines these two. Let me explain more of what I mean. First, genetics. Genetics is involved in the development of autoimmune disease, but autoimmune diseases are not typical genetic diseases. What is a typical genetic disease? Most of us have heard of sickle cell anemia, and that’s a genetic disease. That’s a disease in which the victims of the disease have a specific genetic mutation. If you inherit this mutation from one parent, you have sickle cell trait; and if you inherit it from both parents, you have sickle cell disease. We know what the gene is, and we even know a great deal of how that works; so we know the etiology of that disease.

That’s not the way genetics works in autoimmune disease. In autoimmune disease, multiple genes are involved; we have genes that collectively increase the vulnerability or susceptibility to autoimmune disease. What is inherited is not a specific gene that causes a specific defect in metabolism; several genes increase vulnerability or susceptibility to autoimmune disease.
    How do we know that there is a genetic basis of autoimmune disease? I can cite three kinds of evidence. The first is autoimmune diseases tend to occur in families. If there’s one case of autoimmune disease in the family, there’s likely to be another case.

However, it is not a particular autoimmune disease; it is generally a tendency to autoimmunity. One family member may have lupus, another family member may have Sjogren’s disease, a third member of the family may have rheumatoid arthritis. That’s one bit of evidence for genetic involvement, and we’ve known this for a number of years. If we ask patients when they come to us, “Is there other autoimmune disease in your family?”–and we actually have to mention them because people don’t know these are all autoimmune diseases–they will usually say, “Yes, my aunt had thyroid trouble…my grandmother had that disease…my grandmother had Crohn’s disease…."

You can find it in the full article here (
    http://www.aarda.org/autoimmune-info...common-thread/ )
    That was what inspired me to start our foundation in my town "The Find The Common Thread Foundation"
    This is a great read, and when I first stumbled on it, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
    It totally resonated and felt like I had found the road to the answer... it's a long road, but I think it is the right one.

Here's a list of autoimmune diseases and disorders if you want to cross reference any familiar issues:
    https://findthecommonthread.com/list-of-ai-diseases-and-disorders/
    Last edited by marta; 06-30-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to work in 1999 at a different hospital. It was very stressful. Then my son got expelled for having a little gunpowder he found on the garage floor (from 1800's gun). School had zero tolerance. I had a bad sinus condition to begin with and then I got Pertussis on top of everything else. I think there was a genetic link but the stress and illness triggered it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 1991 I came down with a fever if unknown origin that lasted 6 weeks and finally went away on its own. But from that time forward I would get these little sores in my nose that would come and go and I started noticing subtle changes in the way my nose looked (a slight dimple). The dimple made my nose look a bit more like my mom's nose, so I just thought it was a natural change, but now I realize that the changes over the years correspond with where I had the sores.
    I also noticed that my nose ran all the time, no matter what I took for allergies.
    In addition, I have suffered through numerous urinary tract infections for decades. Several weeks before my major symptoms began in 2012 I had a UTI and was treated with cipro. My knees and ankles swelled and hurt, so my doctor thought I was having a reaction to the antibiotic and took me off of it. By that time the urine culture showed that the infection was gone, but I still had some pain and swelling that would come and go....and a few weeks later every symptom in the book came out to wreak havoc.

So what caused my WPA? I'd say stress, combined with ongoing infections had a lot to do with it. But I believe without the genetic propensity for autoimmune disorders (which I have in spades!), that I wouldn't be dealing with this.

Dad's side of the family: rheumatoid arthritis, gout, alopecia (a cousin who lost all her hair), type 1 diabetes.

Mom's side: Crohn's disease, goiter, inflammatory breast cancer

Recently I had my DNA tested for ethnicity by Ancestry.com (97% European...so where did all that Native American that my mom's side clings to go!). I then uploaded the raw data ($5.00 charge) to a website maintained by the University of Maryland, and had about 13,000 of my gene pairs analyzed. The number one finding is that I have a lot of risks for autoimmune diseases. That website is Promethease.com (for anyone who might be interested).

A quick update on how I'm doing right now: I flared about this time last year; spent most of September getting infusions of Rituxan (love it, love it, love it!!!) and have been in remission since last November.

Hang in there, everyone, and keep fighting the fight...

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPA not WPA (must have started to type Wegener's and switched to GPA halfway through? Haven't had my coffee yet...

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mine would appear to be genetic. Both my parents have autoimmune conditions - Dad has Pernicious Anemia (which appears more or less settled) and Mum has Hashimoto's. I think mine was lying in wait and triggered by stress during a particularly tumultuous time in my life. Things went sideways pretty badly but I'm more or less in remission now - depends on the phase of the moon and what sun spots are active at the time my bloods are taken
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress seams to be a common theme here.
    Maybe the NHS or medical insurance should pay for a holiday for us all to meet up. It could save them money in the long run if we all destress and achieve remission!
    Diagnosed April 1995

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast