Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouth issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw my dentist for a cleaning 6 months ago. He said you have bone loss and need to tell your family doctor asap. I did and he said nothing (as usual) but now I just found out last week i have GPA. So, I am guessing this is normal? The dentist said your teeth and just start falling out . I did the the Rheumy on Monday when I saw her but I didn't get an answer as she was asking all the questions being my first time to see her.
    Should I call my dentist and tell them I have GPA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan55 View Post
    I saw my dentist for a cleaning 6 months ago. He said you have bone loss and need to tell your family doctor asap. I did and he said nothing (as usual) but now I just found out last week i have GPA. So, I am guessing this is normal? The dentist said your teeth and just start falling out . I did the the Rheumy on Monday when I saw her but I didn't get an answer as she was asking all the questions being my first time to see her.
    Should I call my dentist and tell them I have GPA?
    I doubt that your dentist will be able to do much except repair the damage. You should ask your rheumy about it. Long-term prednisone use can cause bone loss (osteopenia or osteoporosis). My doc recommended taking calcium and vitamin D supplements. I take two Caltrate + D (600 mg Ca and 800 iu vitamin D) daily. That arrested my osteopenia. My teeth are ok so far. Some people need something stronger such as Boniva or Prolia.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

3. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Pete, I will call tomorrow and go in for a check up and let him know about the GPA. I've been taking Vitamin D and Calcium for the COPD, but maybe not enough ..I need to up the dose on it starting tomorrow..thank you for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sue, do you have bleedings in your gums ? If you do, it can be wg.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia

No bleeding gums, but I will tell my Rheumy again when I see her. I see the bone loss where two teeth were pulled yrs ago. I increased my Vitamin D and C as I don't believe I was taking enough.

7. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    I had mouth issues 40 years ago when diagnosed with WG. I had sores in my mouth, loose teeth, and my tounge turned black. Once my general WG was brought under control with Cytoxin my mouth issues cleared up and I did very well for about 20 years until having a flare up. As drz has said, mouth issues are fairly common. This time things have not been as bad for my mouth and they have again improved as my general condition improves. I can appreciate how it would especially bother you being a Dental hygenist. What does it mean that the gums ended up going over your teeth? Has the surgery improved things for you do you think?
    Hi me2

I went for my cleaning 5 months ago (prior to knowing I had GPA) and the dentist said I have bone loss and eventually my teeth will become loose and may fall out. What cause the teeth to come loose? I know loss can cause this,but goes GPA also cause teeth loss? so just so much to learn about GPA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chronic prednisone use leaches calcium from the body. Taking a supplement such as Caltrate+D may help. Talk to your rheumy.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Sue, do you have bleedings in your gums ? If you do, it can be wg.
    Hi alysia
    No, no bleeding at all. Was told bone loss but I think this is from the gpa? all I know is all my crazy symptoms and so many of them are now all adding up and leaning to GPA AFTER all these yrs
    I'm at a loss with so many symptoms going on Since I started MTX and the steroids so many symptoms are less now (rash, ear pain, vision, less head pain) etc. So, it's slowly getting better and better days ahead, just have to be strong and a fighter and learning to stand up for my self more and started asking tons of questions to doctor's and keeping notes now. I actually start a binder with everything. Then I know exactly what is going on and can share with other doctor's if I need too.

11. Likes Alysia liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12