Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nose Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nose Questions

I don't officially have nose involvement, but I have some symptoms/signs and wanted to ask you Nose Weggies if you have them, too. This is mostly just for curiousity, since I'm under the care of a Wegs ENT in addition to a Wegs rheumy.

My current flare was going on for a few months before we knew that it was a flare. During that time I noticed changes in my nose.
    1) Part of it (the cartilaginous part) becomes bright red easily. Kind of a blotchy red but very noticeable.
    2) My nose cartilage got a lot looser. If I rub my nose the cartilage moves much further than normal and generally feels softer than before.
    3) My nose seems to be narrowing in general-- the bony area, not the nostrils.

Now that it's winter, I've noticed that when I breathe in really cold air my nose hurts on the inside-- about where the bone begins. It's quite painful and persists a couple minutes after I warm up again. Feels like the pain you get when you eat ice cream too fast.

I don't have crusting, bleeding, etc...

Does any of this sound familiar to you Nose Weggies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the cartilage problems.
    None of the redness problems (too much drink over Christmas? )
    Pain breathing cold air - yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL-- good try with the drink joke! While the lay people enjoyed a bit of champagne last night at our temple, the monks and nuns filled up on sparkling apple cider!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard of WG patients complaining about nose changes and it has to do with our disease. I have sinus issues but no cartilage problems. Yes, I do have pain breathing cold air. My nose does get red sometimes too. Actually my right side of the nose is painful even without cold weather.
    Sangye, take a close up picture of yourself or nose and document the changes.
    Hope it's not WG attacking your cartilage. I have seen many pictures of the saddlenose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, try and post the pics on your profile of your nose.

Thank Goodness that you don't have crusting or bleeding. Are your sinuses dry? Do you have a post nasal drip?

What I have noticed with my own nose and sinuses is that whenever I flare it changes that shape of my sinuses. I can tell this because I irrigate with a waterpik every day. It's hard to explain. My nostrils usually close up as well just like my right one was right now. I think the pred is kicking in because my right nostril is getting bigger again and the moon face and pressure and headaches in the head are coming back.

When you mention the cartilage being looser what do you mean? Do you mean the septum in between the nostrils? And the outside of your nose becomes red if you rub it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nose profile looks okay. I only notice the changes from the front view because it's my own nose. The narrowing would look normal to anyone else.

I don't have sinus involvement (thank goodness) and no nasal crusting, etc... I'm so sorry you do. It must be awful.

By nose cartilage I mean the part of your nose you can move around. Everything below the bone. Not the septum. My Wegs rheumy said Wegs can affect the cartilage, so hopefully it won't progress to a saddle nose.

The redness isn't after rubbing it. It just happens at any time. It's a big irregular red patch on the lower part of the nose. It's worse after a hot shower or coming in from the cold, but it can turn bright red any time. (BTW, my whole face gets bright red patches after a hot shower. Anyone else get that?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes get blotches or rashes on my body after a shower or bath. I have been quite itchy on my face and neck only when lying down at night trying to get to sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A.J.'s nose use to look like someone had used sandpaper on the inside. He had horrible crusting and blew things out of his nose that were hard as rocks and huge. They came from deep in his nose and he would have to blow and blow. IT appears that they may be coming back. He is down to 20 mg of Predisone and I have noticed the frequent nose blowing again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye, I understand what u mean about cartildge feeling looser (I can pretty much squash the cartlidge flat - obviously not recommended to play with ur nose as this can only cause more damage), my nose and also seemed to be getting thinner (but not at the nostrils), but no reddening and I do suffer from pain in the pain every now and again (especially in the cold) but I have always had sinus involvement (I had nose bleeds for about 12 months prior to having organ involvement).

Sadly, today I have saddle nose and to look at it side on it has a big dip where the cartlidge has been destroyed, front on the skin pulls down on the cheek (obviously due to the nose not sitting right). I had noticed the changes over the years, my mother lovingly calls it a boxers nose (hhmm doesn't do much for a girls ego) and I fondly look at pictures where I might have been snapped side on and realise my nose was pretty normal (especially to what I have now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now get what you mean Sangye when you say the cartilage is loose on the nose. I have saddle nose too and is loose also.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast