Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rituxan (RTX) Side Effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rituxan (RTX) Side Effects

Friday was the big day. I went to Kaiser and was wowed at the very nice infusion center! I was told there was a bunch of snacks in the little kitchen, my chair had head and massage and reclined. I got all snuggled in and my veins decided to go into hiding. So, my poor nurse, who fought and fought and found the tiniest vein, told me the next time I had to drink a shit ton of water and eat chips so that my veins would show up. Dually noted!
    I was started slow, as I have read everyone else did and soon after, I felt like I wanted to take a wire brush and shove it down my throat. So the IV was stopped until I no longer wanted to claw my throat out. We started again and were good until that happened again. Then, I had to get some IV Benadryl. Cue the loopiness ...

I went home and was quite pleased that I felt normal-ish. I was lazy on the couch and then ... everything changed. I have been intermittently dizzy and nauseous and weak.
    Saturday was worse ... and then Saturday night was awful. I stayed home yesterday with the same thing. Now today, I am at work and I still feel intermittently dizzy and nauseous.
    Am I abnormal? I hope this is all OK because I really want this to work. I do it again on the 17th and I've already put down to be sick the 17th and 18th. I'll play it by ear but I really don't want to miss 3 days again. I'm hoping I can load up on ginger ale and saltine crackers and power through.

So, please tell me this is all normal. I'm afraid my doctor will say I am having not good side effects and take it away from me!!!

How is everyone? I hope you are all well. I am hopeful that this is the turn in the road that I needed.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nikki.

Thanks God you are after the first IV.

They should have give you the benadryl BEFORE the rtx and not only after you felt something.
    The protocol says to give 120mg steroids IV, AND benadryl or something else to prevent allergy AND something against pains (I get paracetamol). All those BEFORE starting the rtx.

The after side effects that you describe sounds reasonable. I have a little nausea but I thought it was the result of too much chocolates.
    I have also other side effects: I sweat the night after. I change colors, having yellow face in the first day after, and very red face at the second and third day. I feel tired like hell and I feel like I was beaten hard in a car accident. All the body is aching. I feel it in the first 2 weeks after. I guess each one has different reactions.

After all, in my humble opinion, you are doing good.

You deserve to rest as much as needed. Please do. Please rest to allow your body to heal.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took some Benadryl and Tylenol (paracetemol) just before. That's why they gave me IV Benadryl during when things started back up with the reaction. It wasn't a scary reaction by any means ... just annoying and I wanted to get my hand down my throat.

I am just lying low, accepting that I will feel lousy for awhile. To me, that means it's working. I have a friend fighting a major battle against cancer and she's MISERABLE after chemo and that's because it's working hard to fight her body. So, I'll take it. If this is as bad as it gets, I'll take it.

I know what to expect next time and I already submitted those days. I'll be off Friday and Saturday for sure. I can always call in sick Sunday again if I need it. Hopefully, next time will be better.

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, Tylenol is acetomiophen ... I don't know what I was thinking.

I had a cold before this ... so that is probably why I am coughing but it is TERRIBLE!!!! I choke, and wheeze. Oh well, like I said ... if it works I'll tolerate whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In prep for my surgery, I've been off mtx for a couple weeks and I can sure feel the difference (in a bad way). Its only a maintenance dose, so nothing like what you are going through. I didn't realize that rtx had an almost automatic allergic reaction -- good to know.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back on the mtx so some of my muscle and joint pain goes away. I hope the rtx works well for you and provides some relief. I know you've been going through a lot over the past couple years. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tylenol is similar to paracetamol. Did they also give you steroids 120mg in IV before the rtx ? They should have according to the protocol. It is supposed to prevent allergy reactions.

Good luck Tomorow vdub. Keeping you in my prayers. Please update us. Sending my love ♡♡
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Vdub! SENDING YOU A THOUSAND WELL WISHES. Please let us know how you are. Sending you ALL my love!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope all goes well, Vdub!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki,
    I have had to get the IV Benadryl, along with solmederal 120mg and Tylenol before hand, because of allergic reactions. I have to be given it real slowly. Then afterwards I have to take 2 Benadryl and 2 Tylenol for up to 48hrs, every 4hrs to 6hrs,(sometimes only for 24 hrs.), to keep the reactions from hitting me. I have had 17 Rtx treatments and get a reaction every time. So my Doc and I have decided it was best for me to follow this protocol and it works, I still don't feel quite right for almost a week or so. I am wishing you all the best for your next tx. Rest and take care of yourself.

Vdub.
    Wishing well with everything, take care.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated -- I'll let you know tomorrow! Its nice to have so many friends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast