User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prescription Painkillers and Kidney Damage - Do you know of an ok one to take?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prescription Painkillers and Kidney Damage - Do you know of an ok one to take?

I have my hernia surgery next Thursday. Never dawned on me the painkiller may affect my kidneys. Will of course ask dr's nurse what they have given in the past, but do you know of one? Was told Tramadol would be ok for kidneys, but may not be strong enough in the pain relief-department. Thanks for any info.

David

P.S. Was told most anything in smaller doses if only taken as/when needed might would be the only option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am prescribed 2, 50mg tabs of Tramadol every 4 to 6 hrs, every day. If Tramadol doesn't seem effective, I can substitute 325mg/7.5mg Norco (hydrocodone) at the same rate. Usually, the Tramadol is sufficient, however, over the past few weeks, I have needed to substitute norco from time-to-time. I have been on this regimen for about 5 years and no doctor has ever mentioned anything about possible kidney damage. All of my tests, show my liver and kidneys are in great shape. So, from my experience, its not something I'd worry about in the least, unless you have other drugs that might cause different interactions and different effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have severe kidney failure and opiate based pain killers are prescribed to me. Tramadol isn't an actual opiate as it's not derrived from poppies (it's a synthetic version), but has the same effect and I have it prescribed.
    You MUST avoid painkillers that have anti inflammatory properties, such as ibroprofen, as these will damage kidneys.

I would certainly remind the drs and nurses before and after surgery that you don't want any pain relief that risk kidney damage.

Hope it all goes well.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    I have my hernia surgery next Thursday. Never dawned on me the painkiller may affect my kidneys. Will of course ask dr's nurse what they have given in the past, but do you know of one? Was told Tramadol would be ok for kidneys, but may not be strong enough in the pain relief-department. Thanks for any info.

David

P.S. Was told most anything in smaller doses if only taken as/when needed might would be the only option.

I have Stage 3 kidney disease and had hernia surgery a few months ago. It was not a problem for me to use the pain relief they prescribed. I used the two VDub mentioned. I found I like the Tramadol the best. Because of excess swelling and inflammation due to my health issues I had to go back on it for a longer period of time to assist in the healing of the surgery and my kidney function remained stable. Years ago I had to take mega dosage of Ibuprofen when the Wegs attacked my eyes and it did cause kidney damage but not nearly as much as the Wegs did later. Doctors tell me to take Tyenol if I need light pain relief as that is safer for the kidneys.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You MUST avoid painkillers that have anti inflammatory properties, such as ibroprofen, as these will damage kidneys.
    I should have mentioned that, but to be honest I had forgotten exactly why I was told that NSAIDs were verboten. But now that gilders mentions it, yes, its the kidneys. I don't have kidney failure. but my kidneys are controlled with artificial hormones, so I guess the risk of using NSAIDs is too great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, "feel" better all ready. Will make a hard-copy of what you're saying and relay it to the nurse. They may be planning similar anyway.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toby,
    I am wishing you all the best with your surgery and I hope you won't need to many pain killers. Please take care of yourself and keep us in the lope on how you are doing.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!